Problem with starting my db with Postmaster

From
"Toni Pljakoski"
Date:
Hi
when I run

postmaster -D /home/mydb

I get an error

[4850] Fatal 1 Database "/home/mydb" does not exist in the system catalog

What could be the problem?
I ran initdb and it didnt show any problems

Thank you in advance
Toni

Re: Problem with starting my db with Postmaster

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
"Toni Pljakoski" wrote:
  >Hi
  >when I run
  >
  >postmaster -D /home/mydb
  >
  >I get an error
  >
  >[4850] Fatal 1 Database "/home/mydb" does not exist in the system catalog
  >
  >What could be the problem?
  >I ran initdb and it didnt show any problems

Databases's have names that are internal to PostgreSQL; they are not
file system paths.

Become the user that ran initdb (usually postgres) and do:

$ createuser your-unix-user-name

give yourself database creation privilege.  Then, become your-unix-user-name
again and:

$ createdb mydb
$ psql mydb
     "For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the
      whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of
      them whose heart is perfect toward him..."
                                   II Chronicles 16:9

mSQL to PgSQL

From
Chris Hayner
Date:
does anyone know of an easy method of changing a msql db to a PgSQL db? I
found the MySQL to PgSQL converter ok, but an mSQL solution is out of my
grasp.
thanks in advance,

chris