trouble with db-restore

From
Heiko Irrgang
Date:
Hi,

Yesterday our system-harddisk crashed and i had to restore
the postgres databases from the backup-tape.

i simply use pg_dumpall with no params for dumping the
data, but when i used psql for restoring the data,
every view was created as a table and was filled up
with the data which the view had been delivered at
the time of the backup.

it was no problem, because actually we dont use much
views so i could restored it by hand. but the
question is, is it possible to backup views, and
the bigger question for me is, what additional surprises do
i have to expect from pg_dumpall?

--
SC-Networks                             www: www.SC-Networks.de
Web Design, Netzwerke,

82377 Penzberg                          Mail: Irrgang@SC-Networks.de

Re: trouble with db-restore

Date:
I am surprised and have never heard of this happening.

Date:
Heiko Irrgang <irrgang@SC-Networks.de> writes:
> i simply use pg_dumpall with no params for dumping the
> data, but when i used psql for restoring the data,
> every view was created as a table and was filled up
> with the data which the view had been delivered at
> the time of the backup.

This is extremely surprising; I've never heard of such a report before.

It would seem that pg_dump failed to recognize your views as being
views.  The only theory I can come up with offhand is that you are
using a pg_dump version that is not compatible with the database
server version you are running.  Since you have said nothing about
what version you are using, it's hard to guess more ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with db-restore

From
Heiko Irrgang
Date:
>Heiko Irrgang <irrgang@SC-Networks.de> writes:
>>  i simply use pg_dumpall with no params for dumping the
>>  data, but when i used psql for restoring the data,
>>  every view was created as a table and was filled up
>>  with the data which the view had been delivered at
>>  the time of the backup.
>
>This is extremely surprising; I've never heard of such a report before.
>
>It would seem that pg_dump failed to recognize your views as being
>views.  The only theory I can come up with offhand is that you are
>using a pg_dump version that is not compatible with the database
>server version you are running.  Since you have said nothing about
>what version you are using, it's hard to guess more ...
>
>            regards, tom lane

On the first server, where the backup was done
a binary distribution was installed
(think it was from postgresql.org). The filenames were called:
postgresql-7.0.2-3mdk.i686.rpm, etc

On the new server, there is 7.0.2 too, but compiled from source,
dont know if this could be a hint. i'm shure that the
pg_dump used was the version which was delivered with the
binaries.

The whole thing is running on a turbolinux turbocluster server 4.0,
kernel 2.2.12, glibc 2.1.2
--
SC-Networks                             www: www.SC-Networks.de
Web Design, Netzwerke,
3D Animation und Multimedia
Heiko Irrgang                           Tel.: 08856/9392-00
Im Thal 2                               Fax:  08856/9392-01

82377 Penzberg                          Mail: Irrgang@SC-Networks.de

Re: trouble with db-restore

From
"rob"
Date:
I have seen that before on my own system.  Same PG version for dump/restore.
Wasn't a big deal for me to redo the views since I had so few (i.e. 1)  I
never reported it, but it happened more than once.  Not sure of version, but
was 7.0.1 or 7.0.2.

--rob

> > i simply use pg_dumpall with no params for dumping the
> > data, but when i used psql for restoring the data,
> > every view was created as a table and was filled up
> > with the data which the view had been delivered at
> > the time of the backup.
>
> This is extremely surprising; I've never heard of such a report before.
>
> It would seem that pg_dump failed to recognize your views as being
> views.  The only theory I can come up with offhand is that you are
> using a pg_dump version that is not compatible with the database
> server version you are running.  Since you have said nothing about
> what version you are using, it's hard to guess more ...
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with db-restore

Date:
"rob" <rob@cabrion.com> writes:
> I have seen that before on my own system.  Same PG version for dump/restore.
> Wasn't a big deal for me to redo the views since I had so few (i.e. 1)  I
> never reported it, but it happened more than once.

You should have reported it :-( ... as I said, I hadn't heard about this
failure mode before.  I assume that the dump script shows the views as
CREATE TABLE not CREATE VIEW?  I'd ask you to send me the dump script,
but it's unlikely to tell me much if the error is upstream.  Can you
provide a script for creating a view that pg_dump fails to dump
correctly?

            regards, tom lane

Re: trouble with db-restore

From
"rob"
Date:
Tried this morning to recreate the problem, but could not (as of v 7.0.2).
Perhaps it was 7.0.1?  Sorry for not reporting earlier. I'll keep my eye out
for this issue in the future.

--rob

> > I have seen that before on my own system.  Same PG version for
dump/restore.
> > Wasn't a big deal for me to redo the views since I had so few (i.e. 1)
> > never reported it, but it happened more than once.
>
> You should have reported it :-( ... as I said, I hadn't heard about this
> failure mode before.  I assume that the dump script shows the views as
> CREATE TABLE not CREATE VIEW?  I'd ask you to send me the dump script,
> but it's unlikely to tell me much if the error is upstream.  Can you
> provide a script for creating a view that pg_dump fails to dump
> correctly?
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Re: trouble with db-restore

From
Joseph Shraibman
rob wrote:

> Tried this morning to recreate the problem, but could not (as of v 7.0.2).
> Perhaps it was 7.0.1?  Sorry for not reporting earlier. I'll keep my eye out
> for this issue in the future.

7.0.1 == 7.0.2, just 7.0.2 has documentation in the tarball.

--
Joseph Shraibman
jks@selectacast.net