UNION within VIEW workarounds?

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
Given UNIONs are not implemented within views in 7.0.3, what are the
generally suggested work-arounds, if any?

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: UNION within VIEW workarounds?

From
"Joel Burton"
Date:
> Given UNIONs are not implemented within views in 7.0.3, what are
the
> generally suggested work-arounds, if any?

Ick. We just did the full SELECTs all the time. A pain.

FYI, this is fixed in 7.1. Beta Real Soon Now.

--
Joel Burton, Director of Information Systems -*- jburton@scw.org
Support Center of Washington (www.scw.org)

Re: UNION within VIEW workarounds?

From
Adam Haberlach
Date:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:27:08PM -0800, Joel Burton wrote:
> > Given UNIONs are not implemented within views in 7.0.3, what are
> the
> > generally suggested work-arounds, if any?
>
> Ick. We just did the full SELECTs all the time. A pain.
>
> FYI, this is fixed in 7.1. Beta Real Soon Now.

    Out of curiosity, what is the advantage, other then simplification
of the query itself, of using a view over a straight select?

--
Adam Haberlach           |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam@newsnipple.com      |deep, passionate, and profound for fish and

Date:
Adam Haberlach wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:27:08PM -0800, Joel Burton wrote:
> > > Given UNIONs are not implemented within views in 7.0.3, what are
> > the
> > > generally suggested work-arounds, if any?
> >
> > Ick. We just did the full SELECTs all the time. A pain.
> >
> > FYI, this is fixed in 7.1. Beta Real Soon Now.
>
>         Out of curiosity, what is the advantage, other then simplification
> of the query itself, of using a view over a straight select?

One advantage is that you can hide internal db schema from applications
that may need to access your db.  That frees you to change the internal
schema somewhat as long as you honor the agreed "interface" of the
view...

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: UNION within VIEW workarounds?

From
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Date:
On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:45:02PM -0600, Ed Loehr wrote:
> One advantage is that you can hide internal db schema from applications
> that may need to access your db.  That frees you to change the internal
> schema somewhat as long as you honor the agreed "interface" of the
> view...

another advantage is that at some point of time when you need greater
performance on select's you can change your views to physical tables
regenerated from time to time.

depesz

--
hubert depesz lubaczewski
     najwspanialszą rzeczą jaką dało nam nowoczesne społeczeństwo,