Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
martin.chantler@convergys.com

Thanks for responding,

I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients

As for the queries:
I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
letter of the customer name
E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a few
hundered records at a time
The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the order
file. This did seem to lock things
down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed everything
down quite a lot?

Thanks a lot,

M Chantler

--
NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or entity

Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Date:
martin.chantler@convergys.com schrieb:

> Thanks for responding,
>
> I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
> other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
> problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients
>
> As for the queries:
> I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
> The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
> letter of the customer name
> E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a few
> hundered records at a time
> The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the order
> file. This did seem to lock things
> down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed everything
> down quite a lot?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> M Chantler

In my opinion PostgreSQL is even better than Oracle. Postgres has some nice
features I missed in Oracle (eg. sending large amount of data to the SQL-Loader
via pipe).
MAX: As fas as I know, PostgreSQL can't use an index in combination with max on a
certain column. I read somewhere that this is going to be changed in a following
versions (is it already fixed in 7.03 or 7.1 beta ???).

    Hans

Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 martin.chantler@convergys.com wrote:

> Thanks for responding,
>
> I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
> other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
> problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients
>
> As for the queries:
> I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
> The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
> letter of the customer name
> E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a few
> hundered records at a time
> The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the order
> file. This did seem to lock things
> down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed everything
> down quite a lot?

Take a look here for a recent comparison.  This is page three of the
article and shows graphs for concurrent users and performance.

    http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?page=3

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
One thing to consider since you mentioned VB is the lack of ole db provider.
It really puts a black mark on the DB for Windows developers.

Unfortunately only one person has volunteered to try to make one, but he is
extremely busy (as most of us are).

Part of the drawback of making one is software and knowledge needed.  You
need a good understanding of the way the database talks to the client, the
database schema and other topics.  As for the software, it seems atleast
VC++ 6.0 is best.

ODBC can be used, but again, there is faltering support for it also.

I'm not pointing fingers, just things to look out for since you are a VB
programmer.  I'd be more than willing to give the provider a try (while
asking many questions along the way), but the problem of not having VC++ is
a major obstacle.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
> other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
> problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients
>
> As for the queries:
> I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
> The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
> letter of the customer name
> E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a
few
> hundered records at a time
> The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the
order
> file. This did seem to lock things
> down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed
everything
> down quite a lot?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> M Chantler
>

> --
> NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
> intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or
entity
> to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
> otherwise confidential.  If you have received this electronic mail
transmission
> in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding
it,
> and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone
(collect), so
> that the sender's address records can be corrected.

Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
we're running ~189 backend processes right now witha loadavg on the
machine of about 89 *rofl*  our bottleneck riht now appears to actually be
in disk I/O though, which we are working on by moving from multiple
spindles, multiple file systems over to multiple spindles, stripe'd file
system, so that load is better distributed ...

it can run multiple queries in parrellel, as parrallel as the operating
system itself will allow ... but your bottleneck will generally be:

    disk first, memory second and cpu third ... so watch and correct
in that order ... basically, you want to be able to move from disk->memory
as fast as possible, and the more you can store in memory, the less the
CPUs have to wait for the data ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
martin.chantler@convergys.com

I am not sure what an ole db provider is? This must be another method of
talking to the server from a client application. What advantages does it have?

I have the open source ODBC client (and I know a Java version exists), it seems
ok but I don't know if it handles things like transactions and other advanced
functions.

It would obviously be important to have a good method of talking to P-sql from
Windows since a lot of people will want to do this.

I have only just started looking at this but if I find any limitations I'm sure
I will post them!!!

Martin

"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> on 30/11/2000 16:54:16

One thing to consider since you mentioned VB is the lack of ole db provider.
It really puts a black mark on the DB for Windows developers.

Unfortunately only one person has volunteered to try to make one, but he is
extremely busy (as most of us are).

Part of the drawback of making one is software and knowledge needed.  You
need a good understanding of the way the database talks to the client, the
database schema and other topics.  As for the software, it seems atleast
VC++ 6.0 is best.

ODBC can be used, but again, there is faltering support for it also.

I'm not pointing fingers, just things to look out for since you are a VB
programmer.  I'd be more than willing to give the provider a try (while
asking many questions along the way), but the problem of not having VC++ is
a major obstacle.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> I suppose what I was really asking is if PostGreSQL works 'as good' as
> other databases like Oracle. The rumour I heard implied that I would have
> problems trying to run PostGreSQL with a lot of clients
>
> As for the queries:
> I have a 6000 record customer file and a bigger file containing orders
> The VB programs randomly retrieved records with a like clause on the first
> letter of the customer name
> E.G. B%, F%, Z%. This SQL also had a join to the order file and returned a
few
> hundered records at a time
> The slow SQL I entered simply returned the MAX value for a column in the
order
> file. This did seem to lock things
> down, perhaps p-sql was just being cautious or maybe it just slowed
everything
> down quite a lot?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> M Chantler
>

> --
> NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
> intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or
entity
> to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
> otherwise confidential.  If you have received this electronic mail
transmission
> in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding
it,
> and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone
(collect), so
> that the sender's address records can be corrected.

Re: Can PostGreSQL handle 100 user database - more info

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Replies inline.