Postgresql on FreeBSD

From
Nelio Alves Pereira Filho
Date:
Hi there.

I came from linux and I'm not used to FreeBSD, so this might just be a
bsd question at all.

I installed the postgresql-7.0.2 port (make install), and then tried to
run the daemon, but it wouldn't. Finally, I got this error message:

Waiting for postmaster starting up..IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed
(Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144, permission=700
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=65536
FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment
..

I checked the kernel, and it's compiled with SYSV IPC.
Does anyone know what it is? Again, sorry if it's an out of topic
question.

Thanks in advance.

--
Nelio Alves Pereira Filho
IFX Networks

Re: Postgresql on FreeBSD

From
Thomas Good
Date:
On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Nelio Alves Pereira Filho wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I came from linux and I'm not used to FreeBSD, so this might just be a
> bsd question at all.
>
> I installed the postgresql-7.0.2 port (make install), and then tried to
> run the daemon, but it wouldn't. Finally, I got this error message:

Hi.  What version of FBSD?  2.x.x had no support in the kernel for
SYSV type semaphores and shared memory...

You can do a kernel rebuild and add this stuff...painless...details
are in the pg docs or I can send you my log notes if this is indeed
the problem.

Cheers,
Tom

> Waiting for postmaster starting up..IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed
> (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144, permission=700
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=65536
> FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment
> ..
>
> I checked the kernel, and it's compiled with SYSV IPC.
> Does anyone know what it is? Again, sorry if it's an out of topic
> question.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Nelio Alves Pereira Filho
> IFX Networks
> Sao Paulo / Brazil

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056