Newbie Question

From
John Pilley
Date:
Is there an upper limit on the size of a "text" character field? If so,
how can I extend it?

Thanks,

John

Attachment

RE: Newbie Question

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
John-

According to the documentation and Bruce M's book, there is no limit. I've
never hit a limit while putting some pretty large (three page) narratives in
a text field. Practically speaking, I would guess that one will take a
performance hit due to fragmentation when storing big chunks of data
comingled with smaller chunks.

-Nick Fankhauser

Re: Newbie Question

From
Richard Poole
Date:
On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 12:32:58PM -0500, Nick Fankhauser wrote:
> According to the documentation and Bruce M's book, there is no limit. I've
> never hit a limit while putting some pretty large (three page) narratives in
> a text field.

There is no limit on the "text" type as such, but there is still the limit
on the total size of a row: about 8k by default, 32k if you're willing
to recompile (see the FAQ). This limit will be removed entirely by TOAST
in 7.1 .

Richard

Re: Newbie Question

From
"Poul L. Christiansen"
Date:
The limit is 8kb. But if you can recompile it so the limit is 32kb
instead. But this is not wihout problems.

You can also wait for version 7.1 where this upper limit has been
eliminated (out in january, hopefully). You can also try the (unstable)
latest version from the CVS.

Poul L. Christiansen