Can I deactivate indexes?

From
DaVinci
Question is:

I want to use key words like SERIAL, PRIMARY KEY, etc, for creating tables,
but this words create indexes asociated to tables.

If i use COPY to poblate tables, indexes make tranfer very slow.

How can i deactivate indexes temporaly for making a COPY?.

Any other strategy?.

Thanks for your ideas.

                        David

Re: Can I deactivate indexes?

From
DaVinci
Date:
On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 01:17:58PM +0200, DaVinci wrote:

> How can i deactivate indexes temporaly for making a COPY?.

    Sorry.

    I have yet seen that is impossible.

    DROP and CREATE indexes will work for me ;)

    Greets.

                        David

Re: Can I deactivate indexes?

From
Date:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, DaVinci wrote:

> I want to use key words like SERIAL, PRIMARY KEY, etc, for creating tables,
> but this words create indexes asociated to tables.
>
> If i use COPY to poblate tables, indexes make tranfer very slow.
>
> How can i deactivate indexes temporaly for making a COPY?.

You should drop all of your indexes when you do a bulk copy and then
rebuild them afterwards.  You can drop indexes with the DROP INDEX
statement.

Brett W. McCoy
                                              http://www.chapelperilous.net
Everything takes longer, costs more, and is less useful.
        -- Erwin Tomash