ok after months of freedom I'm suddenly back on the damn list aga in

From
"Oelkers, Phil"
Date:
ok kiddies I've been free of this darn list for months not it's back  please
take me off the damn thing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Chmara [mailto:ron@opus1.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 1:04 PM
To: danyele
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] phpPgAdmin

danyele wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm trying to use phpPgAdmin, but  it's  showing a error like    " Fatal
> Error : Call to unsupported or undefined function pg_connect() in
> lib.inc.php on line 121"  !
> I'm running 7.0.2 on slackware 7.0.
> Can somebody help me?

If pg_connect isn't coming up, chances are that your postgres install
wasn't set up when you installed PHP. Your php configuration steps, before
compiling, should include:

--with-pgsql=[DIRECTORY]

See:
http://uk.php.net/manual/install.configure.php
or
http://www.php.net/manual/install.configure.php

Or your local php.net mirror.

-Ron

--
Brought to you from boop!, the dual boot Linux/Win95 Compaq Presario 1625
laptop, currently running RedHat 6.1. Your bopping may vary.

Re: ok after months of freedom I'm suddenly back on the damn list aga in

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
got it ...

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Oelkers, Phil wrote:

> ok kiddies I've been free of this darn list for months not it's back  please
> take me off the damn thing.

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Looking for help with using regular expression match or perl language functions

From
"Richard DeVenezia"
Hi:
I'm just getting into pgsql, but have lots of sql experience.
I've read what I can find (Momjian and docs/faqs at .org)

Consider this perl regular expression in which $1 records the part of the
text that matches my regexp:

# print first word of string when first word starts with r and ends with d
$text = "Read this Richard";
if ( $text =~ m/(^r\S*d)\b/i ) { print "first word is: '$1' \n" }

Consider this sql to create some sample data:

create table comment (text varchar(200));
insert into comment values ('Richard was here');
insert into comment values ('Read about this');
insert into comment values ('Rodeo is in town');

What would be the pgsql statement  to get a regexp match such as $1 into a
column ?

e.g., could it be like ...

select
  $1 of m/(^r\S*d)\b/i, text AS part_of_text_that_matches_regexp
from
  comments
;

If native pg does not support using regexp matches, I suppose I would want
to write a procedural language function using perl. I've yet to locate
examples of this.

I don't need help with substr and index to grab and test first words, I only
did that to simplify the example.  In reality I am using much more
convoluted and complicated regular expressions.

TIA,

Richard DeVenezia

"Richard DeVenezia" <radevenz@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> What would be the pgsql statement  to get a regexp match such as $1 into a
> column ?
> ... In reality I am using much more
> convoluted and complicated regular expressions.

In that case I'd recommend you cut to the chase: just go directly to
plperl or pltcl, according to your preference.  Either one will offer
far more flexibility for text-mashing than is available from Postgres'
built-in functions.  We don't have a regsub function at all, and our
regexp matcher is pretty limited (it does ISO regexps only, not much
if you're used to perl or tcl).

plperl is fairly new and still suffering teething pains, so you might
have trouble getting it to build on your system.  pltcl is more stable.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ok after months of freedom I'm suddenly back on the damnlist aga in

From
"Kevin O'Gorman"
Date:
That's not the only odd thing.  I like being on the list, but it has
suddenly forgotten I want digests.

++ kevin

"Oelkers, Phil" wrote:

> ok kiddies I've been free of this darn list for months not it's back  please
> take me off the damn thing.

RE: ok after months of freedom I'm suddenly back on the damn list again

From
"Rob S."
Date:
Hi Phil,

I think the recent upgrade to MJ2 caused us to be suscribed again.

I sent two messages, since the "howto" documentation on the PGSQL site isn't
clear, IMHO.

1)  pgsql-general-request@postgresql.org
2)  general-request@postgresql.org

both had no subject, the body being one word "unsubscribe".  I then got
this:

+++
rslifka@home.com was removed from pgsql-general.
1 valid command processed; it was successful.
+++

BTW:  I love Postgres like a brother.  It's never ever ever let me down in
any department.  I'm sure there are problems with it, but I haven't come
across them.  Keep up the hard & good work everyone, it's paying off in
spades.

- r