MySQL PASSWORD('x') function workalike

From
Nate Lawson
Date:
In MySQL, I can get a hash of a VARCHAR by using the PASSWORD('') call. I
know for DB admin there is pg_passwd, but is there a function interface so
that I can get password hashes of arbitrary strings in SQL?  (Note that I
mean crypto hashes like MD5 and hopefully compatible with the hashes used
for pg_passwd).

Thanks,
Nate

Re: MySQL PASSWORD('x') function workalike

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:11:12PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
> In MySQL, I can get a hash of a VARCHAR by using the PASSWORD('') call. I
> know for DB admin there is pg_passwd, but is there a function interface so
> that I can get password hashes of arbitrary strings in SQL?  (Note that I
> mean crypto hashes like MD5 and hopefully compatible with the hashes used
> for pg_passwd).

There was a user-contributed set of functions posted to the mailing list
in the past couple weeks that does exactly what you're looking for. The
code does MD5 and SHA1 hashes (I'm not sure what MySQL does). I haven't
gotten around to testing it myself, but it looked interesting.

Check the archives, it should be there.

HTH,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

I am not interested in the past. I am interested in the future for
that is where I intend to spend the rest of my life.
        -- Charles F. Ketterring

Attachment

Re: MySQL PASSWORD('x') function workalike

From
Marko Kreen
Date:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:11:12PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
> In MySQL, I can get a hash of a VARCHAR by using the PASSWORD('') call. I
> know for DB admin there is pg_passwd, but is there a function interface so
> that I can get password hashes of arbitrary strings in SQL?  (Note that I
> mean crypto hashes like MD5 and hopefully compatible with the hashes used
> for pg_passwd).

You can check out my implementation I just released ;)

http://www.l-t.ee/marko/pgsql/pgcrypto-0.1.tar.gz

And you can check out -hackers mail I sent.  btw its 20k not
11k as the previous mail said :)

copy-paste desc:

---------------

It exports 2 functions to SQL level:

  digest(data::text, hash_name::text)
        which returns hexadecimal coded hash over data by
        specified algorithm. eg

        > select digest('blah', 'sha1');
        5bf1fd927dfb8679496a2e6cf00cbe50c1c87145

  digest_exists(hash_name::text)::bool
        which reports if particular hash type exists.

--
marko