startup script for Solaris

From
"Martin A. Marques"
Date:
Has somebody made a script to start and stop the postmaster on Solaris? I'm
having a hard time trying to do the stop part of the script, I just can't
find an elegant way to kill the process and eliminate the socket lock that's
left in /tmp.

bye,

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Mart�n Marqu�s            email:     martin@math.unl.edu.ar

Re: startup script for Solaris

Date:
"Martin A. Marques" <martin@math.unl.edu.ar> writes:
> Has somebody made a script to start and stop the postmaster on Solaris? I'm
> having a hard time trying to do the stop part of the script, I just can't
> find an elegant way to kill the process and eliminate the socket lock that's
> left in /tmp.

As long as you kill the postmaster with something less brute-force than
'kill -9', it should remove the socket file by itself.  SIGTERM is
recommended for graceful shutdown, SIGINT if you want to abort open
client sessions rather than letting them finish.  Note it's important
to send this signal to the postmaster, not to one of its children.

See the pg_ctl script for more ideas.

            regards, tom lane