Installation problem

From
Andrew.Mason@spektra.co.uk
Date:
I am installing on Mandrake Linux 7.0 and when I run configure I get :
'can not guess host type'
It wants me to specify the host - is this the IP address or something
else?

Thanks Andrew

Re: Installation problem

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
If I recall, it is the type of system, linux, bsd, x86, etc. Stuff like
that.  I think I encountered a problem like that when trying to compile
Sendmail.  For that there was a paramter where you could specify the host
type in one of the config files.  I think the problem derives from some sort
of package that I didn't have installed, because I reinstalled the OS and
tried again and it picked it up fine.

Sorry.. i gave more of a theoried explanation than a solution...

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
----- Original Message -----
From: <Andrew.Mason@spektra.co.uk>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 7:37 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] Installation problem

> I am installing on Mandrake Linux 7.0 and when I run configure I get :
> 'can not guess host type'
> It wants me to specify the host - is this the IP address or something
> else?
>
> Thanks Andrew

Re: Installation problem

From
John Gray
Date:
> If I recall, it is the type of system, linux, bsd, x86, etc. Stuff like
> that.  I think I encountered a problem like that when trying to compile
> Sendmail.  For that there was a paramter where you could specify the host
> type in one of the config files.  I think the problem derives from some sort
> of package that I didn't have installed, because I reinstalled the OS and
> tried again and it picked it up fine.

For the purposes of configure, it is likely to be something like:
i686-pc-linux-gnu

(supposed to be cpu-vendor-os, apparently -this is from a RedHat
6.2 RPM version of 7.0)

This is handled by the config.guess script; you could try looking in
there and picking something that matches BUT if config.guess can't
tell your system type then maybe you have some inconsistency in the
configuration...

I'm not an expert on autoconf host strings, though

Regards

John

--
John Gray
Senior Technician

Re: Installation problem

Date:
Andrew.Mason@spektra.co.uk writes:
> I am installing on Mandrake Linux 7.0 and when I run configure I get :
> 'can not guess host type'

Hmm, so the config.guess script isn't able to make any sense of what
your uname command produces.  What do you get from "uname -a" ?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Installation problem

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Andrew.Mason@spektra.co.uk writes:

> I am installing on Mandrake Linux 7.0 and when I run configure I get :
> 'can not guess host type'

Your compiler installation is messed up.

> It wants me to specify the host - is this the IP address or something
> else?

It's the type of the host system, e.g., i586-pc-linux.  To proceed anyway,
use --host=<value> with configure.  But you probably won't get far without
a compiler anyway.