problem creating template database

From
"Richard Kuhnke"
Date:
I hope someone can help.  When I use the initdb in postgresql-7.0.2 I get an
error.  It reads as follows:
ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
            syntax error 12 : parse errorinitdb: could not create template
database

I believe the problem is in a field value in the
pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source.  Any help would be great.

Thank you,
Rich Kuhnke
Omni Resources - Madison
608-284-2045
rkuhnke@omnimadison.com

Re: problem creating template database

Date:
"Richard Kuhnke" <rkuhnke@omnimadison.com> writes:
> I hope someone can help.  When I use the initdb in postgresql-7.0.2 I get an
> error.  It reads as follows:
> ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.

That's getting to be a FAQ :-(.  It means initdb is calling a pre-7.0
postgres executable and passing it 7.0 catalog files.  Check your PATH.

            regards, tom lane

Re: problem creating template database

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
Did you have a 6.5 release on the machine previously?
Usually this is caused by having the 6.5 binaries/libs earlier in
search paths than the 7.0 binaries.

Stephan Szabo
sszabo@bigpanda.com

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Richard Kuhnke wrote:

> I hope someone can help.  When I use the initdb in postgresql-7.0.2 I get an
> error.  It reads as follows:
> ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
> ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
>             syntax error 12 : parse errorinitdb: could not create template
> database
>
> I believe the problem is in a field value in the
> pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source.  Any help would be great.
>
> Thank you,
> Rich Kuhnke
> Omni Resources - Madison
> 608-284-2045
> rkuhnke@omnimadison.com

Re: problem creating template database

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Richard Kuhnke writes:

> I hope someone can help.  When I use the initdb in postgresql-7.0.2 I get an
> error.  It reads as follows:
> ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
> ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.
>             syntax error 12 : parse errorinitdb: could not create template
> database
>
> I believe the problem is in a field value in the
> pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source.  Any help would be great.

Tom Lane's answer is right, but this is still a bug.

Can you send me the output of `sh -x initdb {usual options}' (privately,
if it gets to be too long)?  Be sure to invoke initdb from the exact same
position with the same (relative/absolute) file name as when you
encountered this problem.

Re: problem creating template database

Date:
Added to FAQ.