Int8 problem

From
"admin"
Date:
Hi
I have intalled Postgres 7.0.2 on a Compaq Alpha with DigitalUnix.
If I insert  a bigger number like 10^13 in an int8 type field i'm getting no
error messages, no warnings, but if I check the value inserted i receive
totaly wrong number  like 2543........
If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank any way.

Re: Int8 problem

Date:
"admin" <admin@mmelectrica.ro> writes:
> I have intalled Postgres 7.0.2 on a Compaq Alpha with DigitalUnix.
> If I insert  a bigger number like 10^13 in an int8 type field i'm getting no
> error messages, no warnings, but if I check the value inserted i receive
> totaly wrong number  like 2543........

Hm.  It sounds like configure failed to find any compiler support for
8-byte ints, so it gave up and compiled int8 as int4.  But an Alpha
ought to have 8-byte ints.  May we see the output files from configure
(config.status, config.log)?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Int8 problem

From
"admin"
I send you the outputs maybe you will find an answer.

Thanks.
    Hanos Felix

> "admin" <admin@mmelectrica.ro> writes:
> > I have intalled Postgres 7.0.2 on a Compaq Alpha with DigitalUnix.
> > If I insert  a bigger number like 10^13 in an int8 type field i'm
getting no
> > error messages, no warnings, but if I check the value inserted i receive
> > totaly wrong number  like 2543........
>
> Hm.  It sounds like configure failed to find any compiler support for
> 8-byte ints, so it gave up and compiled int8 as int4.  But an Alpha
> ought to have 8-byte ints.  May we see the output files from configure
> (config.status, config.log)?
>
> regards, tom lane

Attachment

Re: Int8 problem

From
"admin"
Date:
Hi,
I have intalled Postgres 7.0.2 recently on 3 normal PC with RedHat and
Slackware to try its behavior
but its working good.
int8 thakes number much bigger then 10^13.
And if the number is to big (about 10^19 ) it generate an error message
(ERROR: int8 value out of range: ...) and don't insert it into the table.
But on the alpha i got no error message no worning and inserts a wrong
number if the number is bigger than 10^13 .

regard Hanos Felix

> your number is truncated to the biggest int8 ( 2*10^10, I think).
> try with 'numeric'.
>
> Jerome.
>

> admin wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I have intalled Postgres 7.0.2 on a Compaq Alpha with DigitalUnix.
> > If I insert  a bigger number like 10^13 in an int8 type field i'm
getting no
> > error messages, no warnings, but if I check the value inserted i receive
> > totaly wrong number  like 2543........
> > If you have any suggestions please let me know.
> >
> > Thank any way.

Re: Int8 problem

Date:
"admin" <admin@mmelectrica.ro> writes:
> But on the alpha i got no error message no worning and inserts a wrong
> number if the number is bigger than 10^13 .

10^13?  But values > 2^31 work?  Man, that's really weird ... I was
expecting a failure at 2^31 if int8 wasn't compiled correctly.
I can't think what might fail at 10^13.  Ideas anyone?

It might help to see an exact table of equivalences, ie, so much
in, so much out.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Int8 problem

From
"admin"
Date:
Tom your right.
I take a detailed look at it and it fails exactly at 2^31 .
2^31-1 = 2147483647 -->  2147483647
2^31    = 2147483648 --> -2147483648
2^31+1= 2147483649 --> -2147483647
10^10                        --> 1410065408
10^12                        --> -727379968
But how could i compile the int8 corectly?