RE: what is the equivalent of oracle's DESCRIBE table?

From
"chris markiewicz"
Date:
\dt <table name> only seems to list Owner, Relation, and Type.

i am looking for something that returns the same info that is found in a
CREATE TABLE statement...column names, data types, etc.  i haven't seen
anything like this in the documentation...

thanks
chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Len Morgan [mailto:len-morgan@crcom.net]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 9:48 AM
To: cmarkiew@commnav.com
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] what is the equivalent of oracle's DESCRIBE
table?

in psql: \dt <table name>

-----Original Message-----
From: chris markiewicz <cmarkiew@commnav.com>
To: 'PostgreSQL General' <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Date: Friday, September 15, 2000 8:51 AM
Subject: [GENERAL] what is the equivalent of oracle's DESCRIBE table?

>hello.
>
>what is the postgres equivalent of oracle's command-line DESCRIBE <table>
>command?  does there exist a sql92 command for this?
>
>thank you
>chris

Re: what is the equivalent of oracle's DESCRIBE table?

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
How about \d <table name>

I think that is the type of info oracle spits out for describe (sorry...
been 6 months since I touched oracle and it was for only about 4 months that
I did. :) )

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> \dt <table name> only seems to list Owner, Relation, and Type.
>
> i am looking for something that returns the same info that is found in a
> CREATE TABLE statement...column names, data types, etc.  i haven't seen
> anything like this in the documentation...
>
> thanks
> chris

Ron Peterson
Date:
chris markiewicz wrote:

> \dt <table name> only seems to list Owner, Relation, and Type.
>
> i am looking for something that returns the same info that is found in a
> CREATE TABLE statement...column names, data types, etc.  i haven't seen
> anything like this in the documentation...

Check Chapter 37. Extending SQL: An Overview.  This includes a section
on the PostgreSQL system catalogs.  It's rather dense, but might get you
going.  This subject comes up now and again, so I'm sure there's also
some info in the list archives.

This section also says "The Reference Manual gives a more detailed
explanation of these catalogs and their attributes."  Where can one find
this Reference Manual?

--

Ron Peterson
Systems Manager

RE: what is the equivalent of oracle's DESCRIBE table?

From
Andrew Perrin - Demography
Date:
use \d <tablename>

postgres@davis ~> psql demogdata
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
  Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
[PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on sparc-sun-solaris2.6, compiled by /usr/local/bin/gcc
]

   type \? for help on slash commands
   type \q to quit
   type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
 You are currently connected to the database: demogdata

demogdata=> \d event_detail
Table    = event_detail
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
|              Field               |              Type                |
Length|
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+
| event_id                         | int4 not null default nextval('" |
4 |
| dt1eventid                       | int2                             |
2 |
| eventtypeid                      | int4                             |
4 |
| id                               | int4                             |
4 |
| date_effective                   | datetime                         |
8 |
| date_expires                     | datetime                         |
8 |
| expected                         | bool                             |
1 |
| title                            | varchar()                        |
150 |
| sourceid                         | int4                             |
4 |
| cost                             | float8                           |
8 |
| spec1                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec2                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec3                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec4                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec5                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec6                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec7                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| spec8                            | varchar()                        |
50 |
| comments                         | text                             |
var |
| current_interests                | text                             |
var |
| updated                          | varchar()                        |
25 |
| override                         | varchar()                        |
25 |
| semester                         | varchar()                        |
15 |
| acadyear                         | varchar()                        |
12 |
| chair                            | int4                             |
4 |
| member1                          | int4                             |
4 |
| member2                          | int4                             |
4 |
| degree                           | varchar()                        |
5 |
Indices:  date_effective_idx
          etid_detail_idx
          event_detail_event_id_key