install 7.0.2 host

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I'm trying to install postgresql onto another server and I'm getting the
error (after running configure in the src directory):
[postgres@bush src]$ ./configure
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you
must specify one

This is running RedHat 6.2 on a dual processor motherboard with a single CPU
(x86).

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: install 7.0.2 host

Date:
"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> writes:
> checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you
> must specify one

Hmm ... if you run the "config.guess" script by hand, what does it
print?

            regards, tom lane

Re: install 7.0.2 host

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
nothing

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you
> > must specify one
>
> Hmm ... if you run the "config.guess" script by hand, what does it
> print?
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: install 7.0.2 host

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I guess that was part of my question also, what do I give for the host
value?  Where do I find the options?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> > I'm trying to install postgresql onto another server and I'm getting the
> > error (after running configure in the src directory):
> > [postgres@bush src]$ ./configure
> > checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you
> > must specify one
> >
> > This is running RedHat 6.2 on a dual processor motherboard with a single
CPU
> > (x86).
>
> Typically due to a messed up compiler installation. You can report
> problems to config-patches@gnu.org. Meanwhile do what it says: specify the
> host type with --host=i686-pc-linux (or whatever ix86 refers to).
>

> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders vdg 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Re: install 7.0.2 host

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Ok, that worked to a point.  It now stops because apparently it can't find
gcc or cc on the system... doing a locate doesn't show them on the server.
Which RPM package(s) do I need for gcc? (Sorry, it is a bit off topic for
the list).