starting server at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Is this the correct line to put into the rc.local file?  The nohup is
running (because it generates a message on the consle saying it wrote to
/nohup.out... which is empty) but the service doesn't seem to start (I can't
connect).

nohup su -c 'postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data > server.log 2>&1'
postgres &

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: starting server at boot

Date:
"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> writes:
> nohup su -c 'postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data > server.log 2>&1'
> postgres &

nohup su seems a little odd; I'd expect the nohup command to affect the
su process itself, but I'm not at all sure that su would allow the
nonstandard signal-handling state to propagate through to the command
it executes.

Try
    su -c 'nohup postmaster ... 2>&1  &' postgres
instead.

This should also eliminate nohup's desire to make a useless output
file...

            regards, tom lane

Re: starting server at boot

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
No, still no luck.  I'm putting the line in at the end of the rc.local file.
I know it gets to it because, when the nohup is in front, it generates a
message.

But I am not able to connect to the dataabse after reboot.