POSTGRESQL vs. ORACLE 8i &Sybase & Interbase etc

From
Eric Webber
Date:
I am looking for a good head to head comparison of the latest
rdbms's and how they match up performance scalibilty out of the
box with POSTGRESQL.

Thanks !!!

streethockey@ureach.com

Get your own "800" number - Free
Free voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

Re: POSTGRESQL vs. ORACLE 8i &Sybase & Interbase etc

From
Ian Turner
Date:

Re: POSTGRESQL vs. ORACLE 8i &Sybase & Interbase etc

From
Emile D Snyder
Date:
I know there's been a certain amount of buzz over the
usefulness/methodology of the tests, but Great Bridge just published a set
of tests using "Major Proprietary #1", ...#2, etc. kind of terminology.

http://www.greatbridge.com/news/p_081420001.html

-emile

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Ian Turner wrote:

> > I am looking for a good head to head comparison of the latest
> > rdbms's and how they match up performance scalibilty out of the
> > box with POSTGRESQL.
>
> Alas, most commercial rdbms's (i.e., oracle, informix, MS SQL, etc.) do
> not allow you to publish benchmark results for their product. So there is
> no way to know.
>
> Ian Turner

Chris
Date:
Emile D Snyder wrote:

> I know there's been a certain amount of buzz over the
> usefulness/methodology of the tests, but Great Bridge just published a set
> of tests using "Major Proprietary #1", ...#2, etc. kind of terminology.

Of which #1 may or may not be Oracle, and #2 may or may not be MSSQL.
:-)

Re: POSTGRESQL vs. ORACLE 8i &Sybase & Interbase etc

Date:
Chris <chrisb@nimrod.itg.telstra.com.au> writes:
> Emile D Snyder wrote:
>>
>> I know there's been a certain amount of buzz over the
>> usefulness/methodology of the tests, but Great Bridge just published a set
>> of tests using "Major Proprietary #1", ...#2, etc. kind of terminology.

> Of which #1 may or may not be Oracle, and #2 may or may not be MSSQL.
> :-)

The page of followup details that GB posted a little later includes
version numbers of all the tested servers.  These provide, um, a
pretty broad hint about the identity of Proprietary #1 and Proprietary
#2...

            regards, tom lane