Post install - error

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
I run this command and their seems to be no problem:
postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

I type CREATEDB brokers and I get this output:
psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
        Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?
createdb: database creation failed
[1]+  Exit 2                  postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>logfile 2>&1

So... again any help would be appreciated.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company

Re: Post install - error

Date:
"Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com> writes:
> I run this command and their seems to be no problem:
> postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &

> I type CREATEDB brokers and I get this output:
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
>         Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
>         and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?
> createdb: database creation failed
> [1]+  Exit 2                  postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>> logfile 2>&1

It looks to me like the postmaster started and immediately quit,
which you didn't notice because the shell didn't report it until
the end of your next command.  What is in the postmaster logfile?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Post install - error

From
"Adam Lang"
Date:
Hmmm... it says /usr/local/pgsql/data is still under 6.5 (the PG_VERSION
file has 6.5 in it).  Wierd, I would have figured the rpm uninstall would
have gotten rid of the old files.  I assume I just can't cheat and change
the file from saying 6.5 to 7.0.  Do I need to delete ALL the files and
reinstall the program?