Probelm creating a table

From
Dave Smith
Date:
Tried to create a table...

create table global (direct_key char(2));
Got ..
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "global"

A quick peruse of the docs does not show global as a reserved word in
the CREATE TABLE syntax. Could someone explain this to me.

--
Dave Smith
Candata Systems Ltd.

Re: Probelm creating a table

From
John McKown
Date:
On page 12 of the User's Guide, it states that "global" is a reserved word
which can be used as a column label, but not as an identifier. I guess
this would include a table name as an identifier.

John McKown

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Dave Smith wrote:

> Tried to create a table...
>
> create table global (direct_key char(2));
> Got ..
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "global"
>
> A quick peruse of the docs does not show global as a reserved word in
> the CREATE TABLE syntax. Could someone explain this to me.

Re: Probelm creating a table

From
sridhvenk@yahoo.com
Date:
"global" is indeed a postgres keyword

refer Postgres User's Guide Chapter 2-"SQL Syntax" in the section Key
words".

The following section gives the answer

The following are Postgres reserved words which are also SQL92 or SQL3
reserved words, and which are allowed to be present as column labels, but
not as identifiers: