pg_dump problem

From
"Oakley "
Date:
Using postgres 7.0.2, I am trying to dump my database for archiving the current setup and information that is in it.
(surprisethere huh?) and when I try:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname > /some_directory/dbname.dump

it wont work! It doesnt prompt me for username and passwd or anything, and still creates the dbname.dump file in the
specifieddirectory, but it has "0" size and I never return to prompt unless I hit Ctrl-C. If I leave off the redirect
andhave it print to STDOUT, no problems...

I have done it as myself, as I read in the docs, since the database I am trying to dump has the same name as me, but it
stillwont work. I have tried to do it as root *and* as postgres - neither of those work either. What exactly am I doing
wronghere?

Thanks

Re: pg_dump problem

From
Merlijn van der Mee
Date:
You should do

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname -f /some_directory/dbname.dump

Merlijn

--
Merlijn van der Mee - Bioinformatician
Academic Medical Centre - Amsterdam

Re: pg_dump problem

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 09:53:45AM -0500, Oakley   wrote:

> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname > /some_directory/dbname.dump
>
> it wont work! It doesnt prompt me for username and passwd or
> anything, and still creates the dbname.dump file in the specified
> directory, but it has "0" size and I never return to prompt unless
> I hit Ctrl-C. If I leave off the redirect and have it print to
> STDOUT, no problems...

If you just type the username and password after that, you'll get the
output you want.  Problem is that you're redirecting all output to a
file, and that includes the username and password prompts.

In 7.x versions, this appears to be fixed using the '-f' switch:

    mymachine:~$ pg_dump -u [database] -f [somefile]

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4

Re: pg_dump problem

From
Philip Warner
Date:
At 09:53 27/07/00 -0500, Oakley wrote:
>Using postgres 7.0.2, I am trying to dump my database for archiving the
current setup and information that is in it. (surprise there huh?) and when
I try:

>/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname > /some_directory/dbname.dump
>
>it wont work! It doesnt prompt me for username and passwd or anything, and
still creates the dbname.dump file in the specified directory, but it has
"0" size and I never return to prompt unless I hit Ctrl-C. If I leave off
the redirect and have it print to STDOUT, no problems...

I think that pg_dump is sending the prompts to stdout, but I am not sure.
You can get it to work by typing:

    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -u dbname -f /some_directory/dbname.dump

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: pg_dump problem

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:11:53PM -0400, Antoine Reid wrote:

> > In 7.x versions, this appears to be fixed using the '-f' switch:
> >
> >     mymachine:~$ pg_dump -u [database] -f [somefile]
>
> That is absolutely correct, although we might want to have the 'Username:'
> and 'Password:' prompts sent to STDERR?  That would solve that
> problem...  It could save some people's time in finding how it works..

Why?  If you do it the new way, you get the prompts that you expect,
and you don't have to redirect to a file, so you get a nice clean
dump file.

--
Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4

Re: pg_dump problem

From
Kyle
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
[pg_dump problem]
> If you just type the username and password after that, you'll get the
> output you want.  Problem is that you're redirecting all output to a
> file, and that includes the username and password prompts.
>
> In 7.x versions, this appears to be fixed using the '-f' switch:
>
>     mymachine:~$ pg_dump -u [database] -f [somefile]

what if you want to pipe the output to your favorite compression
utility?  I like doing a weekly:
 pg_dumpall | bzip2 - > dump.bz2

-Kyle

Re: Re: pg_dump problem

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 09:25:17AM -0700, Kyle wrote:

> what if you want to pipe the output to your favorite compression
> utility?  I like doing a weekly:
>  pg_dumpall | bzip2 - > dump.bz2

Debian handles something similar for its nightly do.maintenance
script.  You have to put the password in the cron.d/postgresql file, which
is terrible security practice, but the only way to automate this with
'password' as the authentication method on the local machine.  The
script called by the cron job tests for whether the password is set,
and then passes that on to the postmaster when doing maintenance.

There is an unfortunate side effect, in that you get a daily mail
from cron with the three password prompts.

The better way to do this, I think, is to use some other
authentication method.