Re: importing into postgres from access

From
Yves Dorfsman
Date:
nsrona <svngo@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I currently have postgres on a Linux 6.2 machine & I can access all of its
> information from any windows machine using the proper odbc driver.

> Now I want to go in the other direction - Is there a way for my postgres
> server on the linux box to pull down information from a windows client that
> is using an Access Database?

I'm relatively new to postgres *and* I'm not sure if I understand your
question right:

You want "postgres" to connect to another DB server, and populate a
postgres table from a table in that other DB server ???

If that's the case, I'm pretty sure it's not possible. PostgreSQL is a DB
server, not a client, and actually I believe this is true for most (all
?) DB server: They can act as server and server only, not as client.

Now, one thing you might want to look into, and again assumning I
understood the question right, is to look at perl and DBI. What this would
allow you to do is run a perl script on the Linux box that connects to
both servers (postgres on Linux, and whichever on Windows), and populate
one table from one with data from a table on the other server. IF you know
a litle perl, this is trivial to do.

Yves.
----
Yves Dorfsman                                        dorfsmay@cuug.ab.ca
                                         http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~dorfsmay

Re: Re: importing into postgres from access

From
Stephen Davies
Date:
You can in fact access an Access database from Linux.

Just install the Universal ODBC stuff from OpenLink and point it at a
DSN on an NT box. (Don't know about W95/98 but should work.)

You can the use PERL/DBI etc to manipulate the data directly.

If, however, you actually want PostgreSQL to process the Access tables
then forget it.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Yves Dorfsman <x@x.com>  wrote:
> nsrona <svngo@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I currently have postgres on a Linux 6.2 machine & I can access all of its
> > information from any windows machine using the proper odbc driver.
>
> > Now I want to go in the other direction - Is there a way for my postgres
> > server on the linux box to pull down information from a windows client that
> > is using an Access Database?
>
> I'm relatively new to postgres *and* I'm not sure if I understand your
> question right:
>
> You want "postgres" to connect to another DB server, and populate a
> postgres table from a table in that other DB server ???
>
> If that's the case, I'm pretty sure it's not possible. PostgreSQL is a DB
> server, not a client, and actually I believe this is true for most (all
> ?) DB server: They can act as server and server only, not as client.
>
> Now, one thing you might want to look into, and again assumning I
> understood the question right, is to look at perl and DBI. What this would
> allow you to do is run a perl script on the Linux box that connects to
> both servers (postgres on Linux, and whichever on Windows), and populate
> one table from one with data from a table on the other server. IF you know
> a litle perl, this is trivial to do.
>

> Yves.
> ----
> Yves Dorfsman                                        dorfsmay@cuug.ab.ca
>                                          http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~dorfsmay

Stephen Davies Consulting                      scldad@sdc.com.au
Adelaide, South Australia.                       Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.               Fax: 08-8177 0133

Re: Re: importing into postgres from access

From
Steve Heaven
Date:
At 16:31 11/07/00 +0930, Stephen Davies wrote:
>You can in fact access an Access database from Linux.
>
>Just install the Universal ODBC stuff from OpenLink

URL please, neither openlink.com nor openlink.org seem to be the right places.

Thanks

Steve

--
thorNET  - Internet Consultancy, Services & Training
Phone: 01454 854413

Re: Re: importing into postgres from access

From
"Alex Bolenok"
Date:
> At 16:31 11/07/00 +0930, Stephen Davies wrote:
> >You can in fact access an Access database from Linux.
> >
> >Just install the Universal ODBC stuff from OpenLink
>
> URL please, neither openlink.com nor openlink.org seem to be the right
places.

> Thanks
>
> Steve

http://www.openlinksw.com

Alex Bolenok

Re: Re: importing into postgres from access

From
Franck Martin
Date:
Alex Bolenok wrote:

> > At 16:31 11/07/00 +0930, Stephen Davies wrote:
> > >You can in fact access an Access database from Linux.
> > >
> > >Just install the Universal ODBC stuff from OpenLink
> >
> > URL please, neither openlink.com nor openlink.org seem to be the right
> places.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Steve
>
> http://www.openlinksw.com
>
> Alex Bolenok

You can use the Windows ODBC driver of Postgresql and the use access to
export your table to PG via ODBC. Maybe the Upsize wizard will even work...

Cheers.
Franck