What distribution?

From
"planx plnetx"
Date:
What distribution U utlize folks?
I have  tried Mandrake 7 and it run perfectly just until I try to recompile
it (from RC1 to  definitive) (remember Postgresql instability messages from
me?); After have totally reconfigured and recompiled 3 times I am trying a
shiteous suse6.4  demo(1CD) that compile  ok but the Makefile's make install
doesn't install the create(db/lang/user) and postmaster executables!!! and
doesn't build its!!! >:-()

Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
dselect & apt-get!!!!

Re: What distribution?

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
planx plnetx wrote:

> What distribution U utlize folks?
> I have  tried Mandrake 7 and it run perfectly just until I try to recompile
> it (from RC1 to  definitive) (remember Postgresql instability messages from

RedHat 6.2.

Thomas Lockhart has Mandrake 7, and is one of the core developers -- he
hasn't reported any problems.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: What distribution?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 25 May 2000, planx plnetx wrote:

> What distribution U utlize folks?
> I have  tried Mandrake 7 and it run perfectly just until I try to recompile
> it (from RC1 to  definitive) (remember Postgresql instability messages from
> me?); After have totally reconfigured and recompiled 3 times I am trying a
> shiteous suse6.4  demo(1CD) that compile  ok but the Makefile's make install
> doesn't install the create(db/lang/user) and postmaster executables!!! and
> doesn't build its!!! >:-()
>
> Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
> dselect & apt-get!!!!

http://www.freebsd.org? *grin*

Re: What distribution?

From
Alfred Perlstein
Date:
* planx plnetx <planetx2100@hotmail.com> [000525 12:51] wrote:
> What distribution U utlize folks?
> I have  tried Mandrake 7 and it run perfectly just until I try to recompile
> it (from RC1 to  definitive) (remember Postgresql instability messages from
> me?); After have totally reconfigured and recompiled 3 times I am trying a
> shiteous suse6.4  demo(1CD) that compile  ok but the Makefile's make install
> doesn't install the create(db/lang/user) and postmaster executables!!! and
> doesn't build its!!! >:-()
>
> Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
> dselect & apt-get!!!!

Try FreeBSD:
  http://www.freebsd.org/

:)

Re: What distribution?

From
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Date:
On Thursday 25 May 2000, at 18 h 56, the keyboard of "planx plnetx"
<planetx2100@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
> dselect & apt-get!!!!

I run PostgreSQL on Debian without problems, it's much simpler than on Tru64, it works fine and I seize the opportunity
tocongratulate the Debian maintainer of the package, Oliver Elphick, which does a lot of work to hide PostgreSQL's
annoyances(such as upgrades from one version to another).

PS: I don't use dselect.

Re: What distribution?

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thursday 25 May 2000, at 18 h 56, the keyboard of "planx plnetx"
> <planetx2100@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
> > dselect & apt-get!!!!
>
> PS: I don't use dselect.

This is the key to making upgrades and installs much easier :)

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com>
http://cupid.suninternet.com/~kleptog/

Re: What distribution?

From
Shaw Terwilliger
Date:
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > Help me I don't wanna run the debian whith his diabolique
> > dselect & apt-get!!!!
>
> I run PostgreSQL on Debian without problems, it's much simpler than on Tru64, it works fine and I seize the
opportunityto congratulate the Debian maintainer of the package, Oliver Elphick, which does a lot of work to hide
PostgreSQL'sannoyances (such as upgrades from one version to another).

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.0 on a Debian Potato machine--compiling and
installing couldn't have been easier.  Debian provides all the required
libraries as packages.  It was just "./configure && make && sudo make install"
for me.  If you want to follow the Debian unstable distribution, 7.0 is
probably as simple as "apt-get install postgresql".

> PS: I don't use dselect.

Me neither.  dselect isn't meant to be used by humans, or at least not by
sane ones.  "apt-cache search <regexp>" will let you search for packages
by name and description fields, and "apt-get install <package>" or
"apt-get [-b] source <package>" will install them (from pre-built binary
or source, respectively).

Graphical package browsers exist (gnome-apt, aptitude, maybe console-apt
is still around).

--
Shaw Terwilliger