Enumerated data type

From
"Anand Raman"
Date:
HI guys
Is there anything equivalent to the enumerated data types in postgresql..
Thanx for ur help
Anand Raman

Re: Enumerated data type

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Anand Raman writes:

> Is there anything equivalent to the enumerated data types in
> postgresql..

You might find that strings with check constraints will do the job, e.g.

create table my_tbl (
 color text check color in ('blue', 'green', 'white'),
);

Re: Enumerated data type

From
Tom Cook
Date:
On Tue, 2 May 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Anand Raman writes:
>
> > Is there anything equivalent to the enumerated data types in
> > postgresql..
>
> You might find that strings with check constraints will do the job, e.g.
>
> create table my_tbl (
>  color text check color in ('blue', 'green', 'white'),
> );

For anything much more than this, I'd just create a table with all the
possible values in it, each with a unique identifier, and then use the
identifier in my_tbl. Then you can control the possible values more
easily.

--
Tom Cook - Software Engineer

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes; that way,
when you criticize him, you're a mile away and have his shoes."
    - A froggy bloke on a news group.

LISAcorp - www.lisa.com.au

38 Greenhill Rd.          Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville, SA, 5034        Sydney, NSW, 2000

Phone:   +61 8 8272 1555  Phone:   +61 2 9283 0877
Fax:     +61 8 8271 1199  Fax:     +61 2 9283 0866

Re: Enumerated data type

From
"Robert B. Easter"
Date:
On Tue, 02 May 2000, Tom Cook wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Anand Raman writes:
> >
> > > Is there anything equivalent to the enumerated data types in
> > > postgresql..
> >
> > You might find that strings with check constraints will do the job, e.g.
> >
> > create table my_tbl (
> >  color text check color in ('blue', 'green', 'white'),
> > );
> >

> For anything much more than this, I'd just create a table with all the
> possible values in it, each with a unique identifier, and then use the
> identifier in my_tbl. Then you can control the possible values more
> easily.
>
> --
> Tom Cook - Software Engineer

Yup, you could create a special table that contains a column of the allowed
values and make it with a primary key.  In your table where you want the enum,
make that column REFERENCES the special table you setup.  That will constrain
it to only allow values of the primary key.