PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
I don't have a CS background and don't really feel competent to answer this;
so I am forwarding it to the PostgreSQL list.

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Wed, 12 Apr 2000 05:24:41 -0400
From:    "Adien.Reynald.Suresh.Lopez" <ca9alo@isis.sunderland.ac.uk>
To:      olly@lfix.co.uk
Subject: PostgreSQL

Dear Oliver

I am a student following an MSc in Advanced Software Engineering in UK. I have
gone through the PostgreSQL site and have read lot about ORDBMS. I am planning
to do my MSc dissertation titled, "An investigation into designing and
developing a web information system applying an ORDBMS approach with PostgreSQL

and Java Technology".

What I want to do is to analyse why the ORDBMS is best suited for web
information systems compared to OODBMS and RDBMS, and then design an applicatio
using UML (for object concepts of ORDBMS), DFDs and ERAs (for Relational
concepts of ORDBMS) and then implement it using PostgreSQL and JDBC.

Can you help me in suggesting how should go about it?

Thanks and regards

Adien
adien.lopez@sunderland.ac.uk
www.go.to/adienlopez

------- End of Forwarded Message

     "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and
      sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to
      dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; and is a
      discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
                              Hebrews 4:12

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
Date:
perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.

there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
relational features) -- share the same original source code!

my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones --  are kind
of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
first.

however, please come back!!! just imagine, if your thesis' title is
"..... using informix and JDBC", it will be much less attractive! also,
you may leave a very pround product or half-product for PG. So, use
informix to get started, but do real work on PG! we are looking forward
to your work.

BTW, why not OODB? also, java has a new data interface almost identical
to OODB query standard. I know, it's much more difficult, perhaps in
between Master and Ph.D. :-) But it also much more exciting! check
the archive of this listing, there was a discussion about this.

hope this helps. -- I'll going to do similar work, "someday".

Kai

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> I don't have a CS background and don't really feel competent to answer this;
> so I am forwarding it to the PostgreSQL list.

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:

> perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
> they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.
>
> there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
> relational features) -- share the same original source code!
>
> my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
> strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
> db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones --  are kind
> of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
> first.

this is a totally uninformed and inaccurate assessment ... the current
state of OO/OR features in PgSQL has been sitting pretty much on one
persons shoulders ... v7.0 has some extensions/fixes added in this arena,
and we would very much welcome anyone that wishes to work with us towards
further improvements on this ...

Adien, if you would like to work with us on such, please feel free to
subscribe to the pgsql-hackers mailing list, where such things are
discussed quite emotionally, at times :)  Chris Bitmead(?) is the one
that, to date, has been working on 'unbreaking' our OR/OO bits ...

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> > I don't have a CS background and don't really feel competent to answer this;
> > so I am forwarding it to the PostgreSQL list.

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:
>

> > perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
> > they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.
> >
> > there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
> > relational features) -- share the same original source code!
> >
> > my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
> > strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
> > db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones --  are kind
> > of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
> > first.
>
> this is a totally uninformed and inaccurate assessment ... the current
> state of OO/OR features in PgSQL has been sitting pretty much on one
> persons shoulders ... v7.0 has some extensions/fixes added in this arena,
> and we would very much welcome anyone that wishes to work with us towards
> further improvements on this ...

it's not fair! It is understandable that you love PG, but it does not
mean you can be blindly doing that!

it is a plain fact that OR/OO features are not the focus in recent years,
and some of them are broken or not work right, no mention of
documentations.
And, informix is certainly a better product in that regards! -- and I also
emphasized the crucial advantage of PG that it is open source and people
esp. master degree candidate can contribute and leave a good trail.

-- Please tell me, why and where is this info is uninformed?!

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
uninformed in that we have not put the OO/OR features to the side, and, in
fact, have developers actively working on it ...

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:
> >

> > > perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
> > > they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.
> > >
> > > there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
> > > relational features) -- share the same original source code!
> > >
> > > my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
> > > strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
> > > db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones --  are kind
> > > of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
> > > first.
> >
> > this is a totally uninformed and inaccurate assessment ... the current
> > state of OO/OR features in PgSQL has been sitting pretty much on one
> > persons shoulders ... v7.0 has some extensions/fixes added in this arena,
> > and we would very much welcome anyone that wishes to work with us towards
> > further improvements on this ...
>
> it's not fair! It is understandable that you love PG, but it does not
> mean you can be blindly doing that!
>
> it is a plain fact that OR/OO features are not the focus in recent years,
> and some of them are broken or not work right, no mention of
> documentations.
> And, informix is certainly a better product in that regards! -- and I also
> emphasized the crucial advantage of PG that it is open source and people
> esp. master degree candidate can contribute and leave a good trail.
>
> -- Please tell me, why and where is this info is uninformed?!

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:
> >
> > > perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
> > > they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.
> > >
> > > there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
> > > relational features) -- share the same original source code!
> > >
> > > my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
> > > strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
> > > db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones --  are kind
> > > of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
> > > first.
> >
> > this is a totally uninformed and inaccurate assessment ... the current
> > state of OO/OR features in PgSQL has been sitting pretty much on one
> > persons shoulders ... v7.0 has some extensions/fixes added in this arena,
> > and we would very much welcome anyone that wishes to work with us towards
> > further improvements on this ...
>
> it's not fair! It is understandable that you love PG, but it does not
> mean you can be blindly doing that!
>
> it is a plain fact that OR/OO features are not the focus in recent years,
> and some of them are broken or not work right, no mention of
> documentations.
> And, informix is certainly a better product in that regards! -- and I also
> emphasized the crucial advantage of PG that it is open source and people
> esp. master degree candidate can contribute and leave a good trail.
>
> -- Please tell me, why and where is this info is uninformed?!

Wading into the fray...

"Totally uninformed and inaccurate" also strikes me as an unfair
characterization of his response.  I think his assessment was informed, at
least if you give any credit to one of the current postgresql hackers,
Peter Eisenstraut:

    http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=603519208

Kaiq may be wrong, possibly not knowing of more informative conversations
going on in the private pgsql mailing lists (pg-core, etc.), but he is not
coming from left field.

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

Date:
> > this is a totally uninformed and inaccurate assessment ... the current
> > state of OO/OR features in PgSQL has been sitting pretty much on one
> > persons shoulders ... v7.0 has some extensions/fixes added in this arena,
> > and we would very much welcome anyone that wishes to work with us towards
> > further improvements on this ...
>
> it's not fair! It is understandable that you love PG, but it does not
> mean you can be blindly doing that!
>
> it is a plain fact that OR/OO features are not the focus in recent years,
> and some of them are broken or not work right, no mention of
> documentations.
> And, informix is certainly a better product in that regards! -- and I also
> emphasized the crucial advantage of PG that it is open source and people
> esp. master degree candidate can contribute and leave a good trail.
>
> -- Please tell me, why and where is this info is uninformed?!

We need to get our OR/OO stuff to be better supported and more polished.

It basically works, but when you layer arrays, rules, unions,
subqueries, and all the other stuff on top of it, it sometimes breaks.

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Ed Loehr wrote:

> Kaiq may be wrong, possibly not knowing of more informative conversations
> going on in the private pgsql mailing lists (pg-core, etc.), but he is not
> coming from left field.
wow, there is a pg-core, can I get in? -- ok, maybe later, after I prove
myself. thanks. I'm happy now.

Kai

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
"Adien.Reynald.Suresh.Lopez"
Date:
Thanks. I will keep you informed of the progress.

Adien

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 kaiq@realtyideas.com wrote:

> perhaps you'd better first find an evaluation copy of informix, seems that
> they have more systematic and well-thought feature set.
>
> there are some historical relations between informix (esp. Object
> relational features) -- share the same original source code!
>
> my understanding is that more recent pg focus is to make it as a
> strong mission critical (i.e. "real", "industrial") relational
> db. so, the OO or OR features -- esp. "advanced" ones --  are kind
> of putting aside. so, that is why I suggest you take a look on informix
> first.
>
> however, please come back!!! just imagine, if your thesis' title is
> "..... using informix and JDBC", it will be much less attractive! also,
> you may leave a very pround product or half-product for PG. So, use
> informix to get started, but do real work on PG! we are looking forward
> to your work.
>
> BTW, why not OODB? also, java has a new data interface almost identical
> to OODB query standard. I know, it's much more difficult, perhaps in
> between Master and Ph.D. :-) But it also much more exciting! check
> the archive of this listing, there was a discussion about this.
>
> hope this helps. -- I'll going to do similar work, "someday".
>
> Kai
>

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> > I don't have a CS background and don't really feel competent to answer this;
> > so I am forwarding it to the PostgreSQL list.

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Ed Loehr wrote:

> Kaiq may be wrong, possibly not knowing of more informative conversations
> going on in the private pgsql mailing lists (pg-core, etc.), but he is not
> coming from left field.

the 'more informative conversations' were held on the totally public
pgsql-hackers mailing list, and usually revolve around work that Chris
Bitmead (damn, I hope I keep geting this name right?) is doing towards
fixing and extending this capability ...

Re: PostgreSQL (fwd)

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Ed Loehr wrote:
>
> > Kaiq may be wrong, possibly not knowing of more informative conversations
> > going on in the private pgsql mailing lists (pg-core, etc.), but he is not
> > coming from left field.
>
> the 'more informative conversations' were held on the totally public
> pgsql-hackers mailing list, and usually revolve around work that Chris
> Bitmead (damn, I hope I keep geting this name right?) is doing towards
> fixing and extending this capability ...

True, Chris Bitmead has recently (Feb 2000) been actively arguing for some
of his OO ideas (Adien, you might appreciate
http://www.tech.com.au/postgres/).  But perhaps one should consider Kaiq's
assessment in light of these comments from the totally public pgsql-hackers
list Mark mentioned:

    "This past summer this sort of idea was discussed around these
    parts and most of us came to the conclusion that a) OODBs are
    a pipe-dream at this point in time, and b) this is not worth
    doing in PostgreSQL as it stands.

        - Peter Eisenstraut, pgsql-hackers, Jan. 26, 2000
        (http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=577944857)

    "PostgreSQLs moving to SQL92 has dropped most of OO features
    as non-compliant ;(  For example inheritance is used my some
    as a convienient means of creating tables with some shared
    column names/types and adding anything to make it more has
    met vocal resiostance on this net as being incompatible with
    current usage."

        - Hanna Krossing, pgsql-hackers, Jan. 27, 2000
        (http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=578316879)

In fairness, clearly, his assessment was not "totally inaccurate and
uninformed."

Regards,
Ed Loehr