Searching www.postgresql.org - TIP

From
"Sampath, Krishna"
Date:
You have probably noticed that the search engine on the postgresql site has
been up and down a lot. In order to search the mailing list archives, you
can usealtavista (www.altavista.com) with the host qualifier. In addition to
your search phrase, include the qualifier "host:www.postgresql.org" (without
quotes). Then, altavista searches only this host and lists the results.

For example, the following search produces about 14 pages.
host:www.altavista.com "date format"

Thought this might help find information on the mailing list archives more
easily.

krishna

Re: Searching www.postgresql.org - TIP

From
Andy Lewis
Date:
Amen, I've been waiting for ages for the postgres search engine to come
back up. Its the best thing on that site and has been unavailable for for
quite some time.

Thanks for the tip!

Andy

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Sampath, Krishna wrote:

> You have probably noticed that the search engine on the postgresql site has
> been up and down a lot. In order to search the mailing list archives, you
> can usealtavista (www.altavista.com) with the host qualifier. In addition to
> your search phrase, include the qualifier "host:www.postgresql.org" (without
> quotes). Then, altavista searches only this host and lists the results.
>
> For example, the following search produces about 14 pages.
> host:www.altavista.com "date format"
>
> Thought this might help find information on the mailing list archives more
> easily.
>
> krishna

Re: Searching www.postgresql.org - TIP

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
note that during the week of April 19th, www.postgresql.org is being
upgraded to a dual-PIII server and PostgreSQL v7.0, at which time the
local search engine will be fully re-activated ...

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Sampath, Krishna wrote:

> You have probably noticed that the search engine on the postgresql site has
> been up and down a lot. In order to search the mailing list archives, you
> can usealtavista (www.altavista.com) with the host qualifier. In addition to
> your search phrase, include the qualifier "host:www.postgresql.org" (without
> quotes). Then, altavista searches only this host and lists the results.
>
> For example, the following search produces about 14 pages.
> host:www.altavista.com "date format"
>
> Thought this might help find information on the mailing list archives more
> easily.
>
> krishna

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

granting permission to groups?

From
Frank Miles
Date:
I've been having problems trying to give permissions to groups, using
the Debian-packaged Postgresql 6.5.3.

So far my search has turned up some old messages indicating that this
was broken in earlier versions of Postgresql.

Can someone tell me whether this is the case with this version?  What
about 7.0?

TIA...
    -frank

Re: granting permission to groups?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Frank Miles writes:

> I've been having problems trying to give permissions to groups, using
> the Debian-packaged Postgresql 6.5.3.
>
> So far my search has turned up some old messages indicating that this
> was broken in earlier versions of Postgresql.
>
> Can someone tell me whether this is the case with this version?  What
> about 7.0?

7.0 adds CREATE/ALTER/DROP GROUP commands but whether that helps depends
on what "broken" refers to.

Re: granting permission to groups?

From
"Frank P. Miles"
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Frank Miles writes:
>
> > I've been having problems trying to give permissions to groups, using
> > the Debian-packaged Postgresql 6.5.3.
> >
> > So far my search has turned up some old messages indicating that this
> > was broken in earlier versions of Postgresql.
> >
> > Can someone tell me whether this is the case with this version?  What
> > about 7.0?
>
> 7.0 adds CREATE/ALTER/DROP GROUP commands but whether that helps depends
> on what "broken" refers to.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders väg 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Sorry for my lack of specificity.  Using the syntax in the 'GRANT'
section
of the Postgresql manual, I inserted a group into pg_group, then created
users within that group, then granted SELECT permissions for the group.
There were no error messages; these steps appeared to work properly.
Unfortunately, users are still unable to do SELECTs, though they are
able
to do a 'psql database-name', and list the tables.

Is 7.0 necessary to get groups to work?  Or might I be missing something
else?  I didn't find where/which system table contained group/database
permissions, so could not confirm some of the aspects of the
configuration.

Any suggestions or references would be appreciated.

Date:
Frank P. Miles writes:

> Sorry for my lack of specificity.  Using the syntax in the 'GRANT'
> section of the Postgresql manual, I inserted a group into pg_group,
> then created users within that group, then granted SELECT permissions
> for the group. There were no error messages; these steps appeared to
> work properly. Unfortunately, users are still unable to do SELECTs,
> though they are able to do a 'psql database-name', and list the
> tables.

Let's see ...

peter=# create user unpriv;
CREATE USER
peter=# create table test (a int);
CREATE
peter=# \c - unpriv
You are now connected as new user unpriv.
peter=> select * from test;
ERROR:  test: Permission denied.
peter=> \c - peter
You are now connected as new user peter.
peter=# create group testgrp with user unpriv;
CREATE GROUP
peter=# grant select on test to group testgrp;
CHANGE
peter=# \c - unpriv
You are now connected as new user unpriv.
peter=> select * from test;
---
(0 rows)

Looks okay.

The permission checking code didn't change (to my knowledge) since 6.5, so
yes, it should work. If it still doesn't work for you I'd need to see
pg_users, pg_group and the output of \d and \z in psql.