The "nl" RPMs.

From
"Michael S. Kelly"
Date:
What are the "nl" RPMs and when should I use them?

-=michael=-

*  Michael S. Kelly
*  4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202
*  Beaverton, OR  97005 USA
*  voice: (503)644-6106 x122  fax: (503)643-8425
*  <michaelk@axian.com>
*  http://www.axian.com/
*    Axian:  Software Consulting and Training

Re: The "nl" RPMs.

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Michael S. Kelly wrote:

> What are the "nl" RPMs and when should I use them?

no locale (slighly faster)

Re: The "nl" RPMs.

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
"Michael S. Kelly" wrote:

> What are the "nl" RPMs and when should I use them?

The nl RPMs are RPMs compiled without --enable-locale.  For 6.5.x,
disabling locale results in a performance improvement in some cases.
For 7.0, there will be no 'nl' RPM's, if performance with
--enable-locale is near the performance without.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

RE: The "nl" RPMs.

From
"Michael S. Kelly"
Date:
I guess I'm enough of a novice that I need a little more explanation.

What exactly does "no locale" mean?  What are the implications of using the
nl version?  If it is faster, why isn't it simply the standard version used
by everyone?

-=michael=-