Postgres on MacOS... Is it even a possibility?

From
Jesse Scott
Date:
Someone recently asked me about PostgreSQL as they were looking into
integrating some of the software they produce with a database system.  I'm
not sure the specifics of the planned integration itself, but one of the
requirements they had was support for MacOS.

I was wondering if anyone has thought about MacOS support.  Is it even
possible?  Is there some great impediment to porting or is it just that
there is not enough need to justify the effort?  The person that asked me
is actually one of the main C/C++ programmers at the company, (They are a
local development house that is owned by a very large software
publisher...no not Microsoft.) and he expressed some mild interest in
working on a port if it was feasible, so any input on this subject would be
appreciated as I might be able to convince him to work on it. :)

Thanks in advance!

-Jesse

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres on MacOS... Is it even a possibility?

From
Dave White
Date:
Jesse Scott wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has thought about MacOS support.  Is it even
> possible?  Is there some great impediment to porting or is it just that
> there is not enough need to justify the effort?

If you mean for client access then the libpq library should be a
possibility, I've had a look at it and started the port but ran out of time.
(I spent a day on it...) It doesn't, on the face of it, look like a HUGE job
as all the comms calls go through a handful of routines. I intend to port it
over sometime in the next few months as part of a large project I am working
on. Of course, if anyone else has already done it...

The server itself is another story... I doubt that it would be practical or
desirable to run the server on Mac OS unless it is running on Mac OS X in
which case porting it across should be straight forward.

regards
Dave White

//////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Dave White <davew@landie.demon.co.uk>
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres on MacOS... Is it even a possibility?

From
Emmanuel DISCORS
Date:
Hi to All,

Maybe a stupid question ; but using postgresql odbc client on Win OS computer I
don't know how to do the same thing on a MAC OS  client.
QUESTIONS :
How to connect postgresql server (running under Linux) from MAC OS via ODBC ?
If possible free solutions are available ?

Many thanks.
Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel DISCORS

Le jeu, 02 mar 2000, Dave White a �crit :