what is "view?"

From
Marc Tardif
Date:
When listing my tables and indices in psql, I see a "view?" in type. What
is this type? Where can I read about it in the manual?

The table listed as "view?" use to be listed as "table" but suddently
changed when I added rules. Do rules make a table a view?

Marc

Re: [GENERAL] what is "view?"

From
Jose Soares
Date:
A view is a table with a rule SELECT
For excample if you have a table named  my_table
and you create a rule like:

CREATE RULE "_RETmy_table"
AS ON SELECT TO "my_table"
 DO INSTEAD
 SELECT * FROM your_table;

In this way you your table my_table
became a view.

José

Marc Tardif wrote:

> When listing my tables and indices in psql, I see a "view?" in type. What
> is this type? Where can I read about it in the manual?
>
> The table listed as "view?" use to be listed as "table" but suddently
> changed when I added rules. Do rules make a table a view?
>
> Marc
>
> ************

Re: [GENERAL] what is "view?"

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2000-01-25, Marc Tardif mentioned:

> When listing my tables and indices in psql, I see a "view?" in type. What
> is this type? Where can I read about it in the manual?

CREATE VIEW

> The table listed as "view?" use to be listed as "table" but suddently
> changed when I added rules. Do rules make a table a view?

The behaviour you observed is a bug. (But views still do exists, see
above.)