installation with RH RPM v6.5.2 postmaster hangs

From
"Tim McKenna"
Date:
When I run the 'postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql' command the prompt never comes back unless I do 'ctrl Z'. Is that what its supposed to do? Other incantantions I used prior to that were from Lamar Owen's Version 1.5 Instal...
-
All The Best,

Tim McKenna
timmckenna@110.net
12 Parley Vale
J.P., Boston, MA 02130
(617) 524-2027 work/fax
(617) 524-0938 home

Re: installation with RH RPM v6.5.2 postmaster hangs

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
> Tim McKenna wrote:
>
> When I run the 'postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql' command the prompt never
> comes back unless I do 'ctrl Z'. Is that what its supposed to do?
> Other incantantions I used prior to that were from Lamar Owen's
> Version 1.5 Instal...

Without the -S, you need to put it in the background explicitly, along
with redirecting stdout and stderr.

Try:
(as root) touch /var/log/postgresql.log
(as root) chown postgres.postgres /var/log/postgresql.log

(as postgres):
postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql 2>&1 >> /var/log/postgresql.log &

And see if that helps.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio