PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on SuSE 6.1

From
Vegeta
Hi list members:
I am currently using PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on SuSE 6.1.  This version came with
the SuSE disks. Recently, I downloaded and compiled the source from the
pgsql ftp site, but postgres does not run and says that a file called
libreadline.so is needed to run.  This file is not on my computer. Is
there a way to make postgres run without this file on this distribution?.
Are there RPMs for SuSE 6.1?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vegeta

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on SuSE 6.1

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I don't have SuSE but I'll give it a shot.

First of all, libreadline is only needed by the psql frontend, the
postmaster should still start up. If you don't have libreadline installed
at all then the compilation should have omitted it, so that seems
unlikely. Chances are that running /sbin/ldconfig will solve this problem.

Regarding the second question, there are no RPMs for SuSE, but I
understand that the RPM maintainers are working on RPMs for a variety of
distributions.

    -Peter

On 1999-12-03, Vegeta mentioned:

> Hi list members:
> I am currently using PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on SuSE 6.1.  This version came with
> the SuSE disks. Recently, I downloaded and compiled the source from the
> pgsql ftp site, but postgres does not run and says that a file called
> libreadline.so is needed to run.  This file is not on my computer. Is
> there a way to make postgres run without this file on this distribution?.
> Are there RPMs for SuSE 6.1?
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Vegeta
>

> ************

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on SuSE 6.1

From
Herbert Liechti
> Hi list members:
> I am currently using PostgreSQL 6.4.2 on SuSE 6.1.  This version came with
> the SuSE disks. Recently, I downloaded and compiled the source from the
> pgsql ftp site, but postgres does not run and says that a file called
> libreadline.so is needed to run.  This file is not on my computer. Is
> there a way to make postgres run without this file on this distribution?.
> Are there RPMs for SuSE 6.1?
> Any help is appreciated.

I setted up postgres 6.5.2 on Suse 6.1 without problems. Here my
configuration options:

   ./configure --prefix=/home/db/postgres/ --with-template=linux_i386 \
               --enable-locale

After compiling postgres you need to edit /etc/ld.so.conf. With the
above configuration I added the following line to ld.so.conf:

   /home/db/postgres/lib

Run /sbin/ldconfig after editing ld.so.conf. Of course you have to
set up you environment correctly as described in the INSTALL
doucment of postgres:

   PATH=$PATH:/home/db/postgres/bin
   MANPATH=$MANPATH:/home/db/postgres/man
   PGLIB=/home/db/postgres/lib
   PGDATA=/home/db/postgres/data
   export PATH MANPATH PGLIB PGDATA

Greetings Herbie

Herbert Liechti                     E-Mail: Herbert.Liechti@thinx.ch
ThinX networked business services        Stahlrain 10, CH-5200 Brugg