[GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> But I am not imagining the random "I have rolled back the current
transaction
> and am going to terminate your database system connection and exit."
messages.

I'm wondering if you ever reported these problems to this list or the
the hackers list? I've been reading both regularily and don't recall
seeing this descussed before, but maybe I'm wrong.

Generally I find the responsiveness from the development team way better
than any commercial products. _All_ problem reports are treated with
concern. So if you didn't report them before, please take the time to
document your experience and send the problem report to the correct
place.

Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criticalapplications?

From
Mike Beller
Date:
I'd like to add one item to Mike Mascari's  excellent and
helpful list:

Watch out for queries involving many result rows which include
functions or even aggregates in the select list:

--select f(x) into resulttable from bighugetable;

The way that postgres allocates/frees memory results in
potentially very large memory use by such queries.  (Per-
row memory is not freed until the statement completes.)
My reading of the todo list is that this is a known bug
(or feature!).

BTW: Does anyone know if there are plans to fix this one soon?

Mike Beller

Barnes wrote:

> It would be helpful to me to hear about successful and stable
> implementations as well.  If some of you who are using PostgreSQL
> successfully could comment on your experiences, I think it would shed some
> worthwhile light on it's capabilities.  I'm considering using it for a
> mission critical project, and I would like to know what I am getting into.
> Thank you.
>
> David Barnes

We've used it successfully in a production environment (24 x
7) for over a year now. Simply reading the mailing list will
greatly improve your chances of success. The problems with
PostgreSQL can be avoided if you know, in advance, what to