Installation question

From
echiu@iname.com
Date:
Hi all, attached is the output file when I run MAKE INSTALL using
POSTGRESQL user account. I got can not make directory but when I
manually executed the command, it worked. Why? How do I fix this
problem? Any pointer is appreciated.

Eugene

Slackware 4.0
Linux 2.2.6
Postgresql 6.4.2

make lexverify
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src'
make -C lextest all
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src/lextest'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src/lextest'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src'
make -C utils install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src/utils'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src/utils'
make -C backend install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src/backend'
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/lib
mkdir: cannot make directory `/usr/local/pgsql/lib': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [/usr/local/pgsql/lib] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pqsql/src/backend'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Re: Installation question

From
Eugene Chiu
Date:
Roland Roberts wrote:

>     echiu> Hi all, attached is the output file when I run MAKE INSTALL using
>     echiu> POSTGRESQL user account. I got can not make directory but when I
>     echiu> manually executed the command, it worked. Why? How do I fix this
>     echiu> problem? Any pointer is appreciated.
>
> Ummm, you may need to install as root unless you first (as root) create
> the top-level install directory (/usr/local/pgsql from your make log)
> and chown it to postgresql (or whatever your postgres account is).
>
> roland

Thanks roland for replying. I've actually done it twice, the first time is to
follow the installation instruction published by postgresql. It asked me to
create a postgresql user account and group and create the top-level install
directory using them. The second time I actually use root to do everything....
Same results for both installation.... Strange... Any idea?

Thanks again!

Eugene