Windows Server?

From
mfb@radical-solutions.co.uk (Mike Brickman)
Date:
What are the plans/timescales for a MS Windows postgreSQL server?

Mike Brickman
RADical Solutions
e-mail: mfb@radical-solutions.co.uk

Re: [GENERAL] Windows Server?

> What are the plans/timescales for a MS Windows postgreSQL server?
>
> Mike Brickman

We run on NT now.

Windows NT Service? was Re: [GENERAL] Windows Server?

From
Craig Spannring
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

 > We run on NT now.

Has anyone tried running it as an NT service with the SRVANY.EXE
program?

 Life is short.                  | Craig Spannring
      Bike hard, ski fast.       | Craig.Spannring@aedinc.net
 --------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.

Re: [GENERAL] Windows Server?

From
mfb@radical-solutions.co.uk (Mike Brickman)
Date:
Is this a standard (official) NT build that I can download from somewhere
or have you done your own conversion?

Also will this run on Windows 98/95?

Bruce Momjian writes:

> We run on NT now.
>
> --
>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>   maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
> 19026

QUERY PLAN:

From
"Tim Joyce"
Date:
can someone point me at documentation so that i can unserstand the results
of an EXPLAIN, eg:

Index Scan using words_id_idx on books_idx  (cost=441.19 rows=7644 width=8)

explain select * from books_idx where wrd_id=1;

I am paticularly interested in what the rows= figure means.

TIA

timj

Re: Windows NT Service? was Re: [GENERAL] Windows Server?

From
Ted Nolan SRI Augusta GA
Date:
In message <199910262111.PAA00138@kampong.aedinc.net>you write:

>Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > We run on NT now.
> >

>Has anyone tried running it as an NT service with the SRVANY.EXE
>program?
>

>--
> Life is short.                  | Craig Spannring
>      Bike hard, ski fast.       | Craig.Spannring@aedinc.net
> --------------------------------+------------------------------------
> Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.
>

>************

I have done this, and it seemed to work OK.

                Ted

Re: [GENERAL] QUERY PLAN:

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 11:03:45AM +0100, Tim Joyce wrote:
> can someone point me at documentation so that i can unserstand the results
> of an EXPLAIN, eg:
>
> Index Scan using words_id_idx on books_idx  (cost=441.19 rows=7644 width=8)
>
> explain select * from books_idx where wrd_id=1;
>
> I am paticularly interested in what the rows= figure means.

I've picked up a little info on this from following the hackers list,
so I don't know what docs to point you at. My understanding is that the
rows= represents the number of tuples the optimizer estimates will be
returned by that step of the execution plan. In the example you've shown,
it's an index scan of a field, and the estimate (based on last know number
of tuples in the table (as of your last VACUUM ANALYZE) and an estimate
of the selectivity of the operator being applied to this index (<, =,
>, etc), and the approximate dispersion of the values in that field.

For more detail, I'd suggest checking the archives of the pgsql-hackers
list, and perhaps then asking on the list itself. There's some hints in the
"PostgreSQL Programmer's Guide" in the "Extending SQL" sections on functions,
operators, and interfacing them to indices.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [GENERAL] Windows Server?

> Is this a standard (official) NT build that I can download from somewhere
> or have you done your own conversion?

It is part of the distribution.  Get the tarball, and read the README.NT
file on the web site or in the doc directory.  We should have a binary
available, but we don't.

> Also will this run on Windows 98/95?

No.

Re: [GENERAL] Windows Server?

From
Ted Nolan SRI Augusta GA
Date:
In message <199910271627.MAA06720@candle.pha.pa.us>you write:

>> Is this a standard (official) NT build that I can download from somewhere
>> or have you done your own conversion?
>
>It is part of the distribution.  Get the tarball, and read the README.NT
>file on the web site or in the doc directory.  We should have a binary
>available, but we don't.
>

>> Also will this run on Windows 98/95?
>
>No.
>
>--
>  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle

I've got a 6.5.1 binary for NT that may be of use to some folks.  It's at
    ftp.erg.sri.com
in
    pub/people/ted/pg_inst.zip

Unfortunately, I can't offer any support, but it might be a starting place.

Unzip, cd to the nw_install/inst_db directory and run the
inst_db.bat file (should work to double click on this from NT explorer,
or from an MS-DOS prompt).

It doesn't install as a service in this version, so run the "start" shortcut
to fire up the postmaster.

                Ted