pg_class missing

From
"Phil Oelkers"
Date:
I want to use postgresql.

The error message is:
/usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system

The problem seems to be:
 file /var/lib/pgsql/base/template1/pg_class is missing.

in fact I can only find up to /var/lib/pgsgl/

How do I create the missing directories and file(s) ?

I installed RedHat Linux from Mandrake.

Thanks

Phil Oelkers
Database Analyst - Team O
Experian DirectTech

Re: [GENERAL] pg_class missing

From
tolik@aaanet.ru (Anatoly K. Lasareff)
Date:

 PO> I want to use postgresql.
 PO> The error message is:
 PO> /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system

 PO> The problem seems to be:
 PO> file /var/lib/pgsql/base/template1/pg_class is missing.

 PO> in fact I can only find up to /var/lib/pgsgl/

 PO> How do I create the missing directories and file(s) ?

 PO> I installed RedHat Linux from Mandrake.

 PO> Thanks

Pehaps you forgot execute 'initdb' command? This command must be
executed before any other use of Postgres.

--
Anatoly K. Lasareff              Email:       tolik@icomm.ru

Re: [GENERAL] pg_class missing

From
"Patrick Welche"
Date:
Phil Oelkers wrote:

> I want to use postgresql.
>
> The error message is:
> /usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system
>
> The problem seems to be:
>  file /var/lib/pgsql/base/template1/pg_class is missing.
>
> in fact I can only find up to /var/lib/pgsgl/
>
> How do I create the missing directories and file(s) ?
>
> I installed RedHat Linux from Mandrake.

One thing: I would have expected pgsql/data/base/template1/pg_class
(extra "data") Does setting the environment variable "PGDATA" to
/var/lib/pgsql/data and running initdb help?

Cheers,

Patrick