backend crashing with INTERSECT / ORDER BY

From
Dirk Lutzebaeck
Date:
So I tried INTERSECT with ORDER BY and it crashes on 6.5 and 6.5.1:

[csmaster@kamet release0]$ psql cs1
Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
  Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
[PostgreSQL 6.5.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]

   type \? for help on slash commands
   type \q to quit
   type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
 You are currently connected to the database: cs1

cs1=> SELECT envelope FROM docobj
cs1-> WHERE attrid=5
cs1-> INTERSECT
cs1-> SELECT envelope FROM docobj
cs1-> WHERE attrid=6
cs1-> ORDER BY attrid DESC
cs1-> ;
        before or while processing the request.
We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.

Any clues?

Dirk

Re: [GENERAL] backend crashing with INTERSECT / ORDER BY

> So I tried INTERSECT with ORDER BY and it crashes on 6.5 and 6.5.1:
>
> [csmaster@kamet release0]$ psql cs1
> Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
>   Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
> [PostgreSQL 6.5.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]
>
>    type \? for help on slash commands
>    type \q to quit
>    type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>  You are currently connected to the database: cs1
>
> cs1=> SELECT envelope FROM docobj
> cs1-> WHERE attrid=5
> cs1-> INTERSECT
> cs1-> SELECT envelope FROM docobj
> cs1-> WHERE attrid=6
> cs1-> ORDER BY attrid DESC
> cs1-> ;
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>         This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
> We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.

Not sure.  I just tried this:

test=> select relname from pg_class intersect select relname from
    pg_class order by relname;
ERROR:  get_sortgroupclause_expr: ORDER/GROUP BY expression not found in
    targetlist

Not sure what this means either.

greg@proterians.net

> > So I tried INTERSECT with ORDER BY and it crashes on 6.5 and 6.5.1:
> >
> > [csmaster@kamet release0]$ psql cs1
> > Welcome to the POSTGRESQL interactive sql monitor:
> >   Please read the file COPYRIGHT for copyright terms of POSTGRESQL
> > [PostgreSQL 6.5.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]
> >
> >    type \? for help on slash commands
> >    type \q to quit
> >    type \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
> >  You are currently connected to the database: cs1
> >
> > cs1=> SELECT envelope FROM docobj
> > cs1-> WHERE attrid=5
> > cs1-> INTERSECT
> > cs1-> SELECT envelope FROM docobj
> > cs1-> WHERE attrid=6
> > cs1-> ORDER BY attrid DESC
> > cs1-> ;
> > pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> >         This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> >         before or while processing the request.
> > We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is impossible.  Terminating.
> >

> Not sure.  I just tried this:
>
> test=> select relname from pg_class intersect select relname from
>     pg_class order by relname;
> ERROR:  get_sortgroupclause_expr: ORDER/GROUP BY expression not found in
>     targetlist
>
> Not sure what this means either.

  On 6.5.2 ....

  test=> select relname from pg_class intersect select relname from
        pg_class order by relname;

  works fine...

  --Greg--