ElephantWear Now Available...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Some things its difficult to know just how to announce, or word, so this
is going to be a simple, straight forward one...

Over the past few weeks, PostgreSQL, Inc has been working towards
increasing our "product line" by adding our own clothing line, as well as
have totally re-worked, and cleaned up, the order system...

Check out the new system at:

    http://www.pgsql.com/merchandise

And report any problems directly to me...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
Michael Simms

> Some things its difficult to know just how to announce, or word, so this
> is going to be a simple, straight forward one...
>
> Over the past few weeks, PostgreSQL, Inc has been working towards
> increasing our "product line" by adding our own clothing line, as well as
> have totally re-worked, and cleaned up, the order system...
>
> Check out the new system at:
>
>     http://www.pgsql.com/merchandise
>
> And report any problems directly to me...

Cool, I may go buy some stuff. Well, OK I may go and look at it and buy
it once payday has come along again.

I have to ask though, cos I have been wondering for some time.

WHY an elephant? Elephants are big and bloated and slow, kindof like
some redmondian software that will remain nameless. Postgresql, I
thought, merited the old cheetah logo that I used to see.

So go on, whats the story {:-)

                        M Simms

Date:
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Michael Simms wrote:

> > Some things its difficult to know just how to announce, or word, so this
> > is going to be a simple, straight forward one...
> >
> > Over the past few weeks, PostgreSQL, Inc has been working towards
> > increasing our "product line" by adding our own clothing line, as well as
> > have totally re-worked, and cleaned up, the order system...
> >
> > Check out the new system at:
> >
> >     http://www.pgsql.com/merchandise
> >
> > And report any problems directly to me...
> >

> Cool, I may go buy some stuff. Well, OK I may go and look at it and buy
> it once payday has come along again.
>
> I have to ask though, cos I have been wondering for some time.
>
> WHY an elephant? Elephants are big and bloated and slow, kindof like
> some redmondian software that will remain nameless. Postgresql, I
> thought, merited the old cheetah logo that I used to see.
>
> So go on, whats the story {:-)

The Elephant, IMHO, represents large (full featured), stable, solid,
dependable...

I think that any animal can depict what you want...the cheetah: now you
see it, now you don't? :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> The Elephant, IMHO, represents large (full featured), stable, solid,
> dependable...

Have you ever seen one in full motion?  Starts little slow but not too
much stops it either! (This being a positive thing you know)

Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders@altoplanos.net               Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.

Date:
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > The Elephant, IMHO, represents large (full featured), stable, solid,
> > dependable...
>
> Have you ever seen one in full motion?  Starts little slow but not too
> much stops it either! (This being a positive thing you know)

*grin*  Agreed...and everw atch those nature shows where they show a
stampede of elephants?  sorry, but its not something *I'd* wanna be in
front of :)

Date:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > > The Elephant, IMHO, represents large (full featured), stable, solid,
> > > dependable...
> >
> > Have you ever seen one in full motion?  Starts little slow but not too
> > much stops it either! (This being a positive thing you know)
>
> *grin*  Agreed...and everw atch those nature shows where they show a
> stampede of elephants?  sorry, but its not something *I'd* wanna be in
> front of :)

I was reading that India used elephants for calvary, and really won some
major battles.

Date:
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Have you ever seen one in full motion?  Starts little slow but not too
> > > much stops it either! (This being a positive thing you know)
> >
> > *grin*  Agreed...and everw atch those nature shows where they show a
> > stampede of elephants?  sorry, but its not something *I'd* wanna be in
> > front of :)
>
> I was reading that India used elephants for calvary, and really won some
> major battles.

See, *sooooo* many positives :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
"Clark C. Evans"
Date:
On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > The Elephant, IMHO, represents large (full featured), stable, solid,
> > dependable...
> Have you ever seen one in full motion?  Starts little slow but not too
> much stops it either! (This being a positive thing you know)

I don't get image #2 "Leave's em big" .... could
someone explain this one?  Also, having the version
number on the T-Shirt kinda dates it...

How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
perhaps this one:

  "It has taken a while to get moving... but
  nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
  stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
  to a production server near you."

Clark

Date:
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Clark C. Evans wrote:

> I don't get image #2 "Leave's em big" .... could
> someone explain this one?  Also, having the version
> number on the T-Shirt kinda dates it...

It was a 'joke shirt', more then anything...it can be read different ways,
depending on the mood you are in when you see it..."Leave's them big", as
one person pointed out, could represent the 'core dump' left from some
very big query that just didn't quite make it...

Maybe we should do a short "explanation" under this one in the catalog?
Something better then I threw in above? :)

> How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
> perhaps this one:
>
>   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
>   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
>   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
>   to a production server near you."

Oh, I like this one too...Daniel?  Jeff?  T-Shirt #3?  If you want to send
in suggestions, feel free to send them to jeff@pgsql.com.  Not saying
we'll do everything and anything, but diversity is cool...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
At 17:32 +0300 on 04/08/1999, Clark C. Evans wrote:

> I don't get image #2 "Leave's em big" .... could
> someone explain this one?  Also, having the version
> number on the T-Shirt kinda dates it...

I think you're right. And I thought that "leaves 'em big" was kinda
offensive. The originators of the idea, please correct me or laugh at my
strange ideas to your hearts' content, but I think we're talking elephant
turd here, right?

(Poor elephant :)

> How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
> perhaps this one:
>
>   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
>   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
>   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
>   to a production server near you."

BTW, the original reason for the elephant was that it forgets nothing. At
least that's what I remember.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma

Date:
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> > How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
> > perhaps this one:
> >
> >   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
> >   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
> >   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
> >   to a production server near you."
>
> BTW, the original reason for the elephant was that it forgets nothing. At
> least that's what I remember.

I don't believe there was every just *one* reason...I'd say that the
'dependable' kinda incorporates the 'forgets nothing' concept...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
Stuart Rison
Date:
At 6:53 pm +0300 4/8/99, Herouth Maoz wrote:
>At 17:32 +0300 on 04/08/1999, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>

>> I don't get image #2 "Leave's em big" .... could
>> someone explain this one?  Also, having the version
>> number on the T-Shirt kinda dates it...
>
>I think you're right. And I thought that "leaves 'em big" was kinda
>offensive. The originators of the idea, please correct me or laugh at my
>strange ideas to your hearts' content, but I think we're talking elephant
>turd here, right?

I'm with you with thinking they meant turds.  Although I'd disagree with
saying it's offensive (well perhaps to Elephants) just a bit on the crude
scatological side of things (but I admit it, I like it).

>(Poor elephant :)

Indeed.

>> How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
>> perhaps this one:
>>
>>   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
>>   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
>>   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
>>   to a production server near you."
>
>BTW, the original reason for the elephant was that it forgets nothing. At
>least that's what I remember.

Yes, I think that's right.  I guess since the Elephant was chosen as a Logo
for PostgreSQL (and I must say the 'new' stylistic elephant is "very groovy
baby") any slogan should try and reflect the chosen animal as in the slogan
above or perhaps something like:

       Compliant, Dependable, Heavy Duty and Clever.
    PostgreSQL, database management for all your tusks

[Typo intended ;)]

S.

+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Stuart C. G. Rison       | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+--------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| N.B. new phone code!!    | London, W1P 8BT                      |
| Tel. +44 (0)207 878 4041 | UNITED KINGDOM                       |
| Fax. +44 (0)207 878 4040 | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |
+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

Date:
> How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
> perhaps this one:
>
>   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
>   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
>   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
>   to a production server near you."

That is nice.

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

Date:
> At 17:32 +0300 on 04/08/1999, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>

> > I don't get image #2 "Leave's em big" .... could
> > someone explain this one?  Also, having the version
> > number on the T-Shirt kinda dates it...
>
> I think you're right. And I thought that "leaves 'em big" was kinda
> offensive. The originators of the idea, please correct me or laugh at my

Yes, I had the same reaction.

> > How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
> > perhaps this one:
> >
> >   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
> >   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
> >   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
> >   to a production server near you."
>
> BTW, the original reason for the elephant was that it forgets nothing. At
> least that's what I remember.

Yes.

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
Daniel Lundin
Date:
The Hermit Hacker writes:
 > > How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
 > > perhaps this one:
 > >
 > >   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
 > >   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
 > >   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
 > >   to a production server near you."

Suggestions and ideas for design or slogans are always welcome. If
anyone comes up with anything - slogan, t-shirt print, poster idea or
world take-over plan don't hesitate to drop an email.

A couple of ideas on orders:

 * GNU style donation field on the order form. It's convenient (and
   seductively easy) to add an amount of cash for donation while
   purchasing merchandise.

 * Printable 80-cols wide text-only order form for fax/email orders

 * Public PGP key for secure email orders

Any comments?

/Daniel

--
_______________________________________________________________  /\__
  Daniel Lundin - UMC, UNIX Development                        \/

Date:
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Daniel Lundin wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
>  > > How about a T-SHIRT with some of the above slogans,
>  > > perhaps this one:
>  > >
>  > >   "It has taken a while to get moving... but
>  > >   nothing is stopping it now.  PostgreSQL,
>  > >   stable, solid, dependable, and on its way
>  > >   to a production server near you."
>
> Suggestions and ideas for design or slogans are always welcome. If
> anyone comes up with anything - slogan, t-shirt print, poster idea or
> world take-over plan don't hesitate to drop an email.
>
> A couple of ideas on orders:
>
>  * GNU style donation field on the order form. It's convenient (and
>    seductively easy) to add an amount of cash for donation while
>    purchasing merchandise.

Basically, combine the 'contribute' page with the 'merchandise' one?  Or
leave them seperate but add 'donation' to the merchandise?  Easily done,
just want to confirm which way you are thinking here...

>  * Printable 80-cols wide text-only order form for fax/email orders

The last page on the order form prints okay, no?

finger sales@pgsql.com

Date:
The Hermit Hacker writes:
 > >  * GNU style donation field on the order form. It's convenient (and
 > >    seductively easy) to add an amount of cash for donation while
 > >    purchasing merchandise.
 >
 > Basically, combine the 'contribute' page with the 'merchandise' one?  Or
 > leave them seperate but add 'donation' to the merchandise?  Easily done,
 > just want to confirm which way you are thinking here...

I just meant a simple field on the last order page stating "Optional
contribution to the postgresql development group" or similar.
No merging, just a more informal way of contributing smaller amounts
while doing regular orders.

 > >  * Printable 80-cols wide text-only order form for fax/email orders
 > The last page on the order form prints okay, no?

Sure, but I was thinking more like a regular printed order form.
Take a look at the GNU order form to see how I mean:

 http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html

I suggest to not have any html on the printable/emailable form, but
rather sticking to plain 80-column wide text.

 > >  * Public PGP key for secure email orders
 > finger sales@pgsql.com

Nice, then just add a short blurb that orders can be placed by email,
and if desired using _this_ (link to pgp-key ascii-transport file) pgp
key.

/Daniel

--
_______________________________________________________________  /\__

Date:
> Oh, I like this one too...Daniel?  Jeff?  T-Shirt #3?  If you want to send
> in suggestions, feel free to send them to jeff@pgsql.com.  Not saying
> we'll do everything and anything, but diversity is cool...

Hows about:

Postgres - We didnt need to consult an oracle to know it would be great!

(geddit?)

                Michael

Date:
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Daniel Lundin wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
>  > >  * GNU style donation field on the order form. It's convenient (and
>  > >    seductively easy) to add an amount of cash for donation while
>  > >    purchasing merchandise.
>  >
>  > Basically, combine the 'contribute' page with the 'merchandise' one?  Or
>  > leave them seperate but add 'donation' to the merchandise?  Easily done,
>  > just want to confirm which way you are thinking here...
>
> I just meant a simple field on the last order page stating "Optional
> contribution to the postgresql development group" or similar.
> No merging, just a more informal way of contributing smaller amounts
> while doing regular orders.

Okay, this one is added in...there is an 'option' on the main screen for
this, that adds the field to the order process itself...if anyone can
think of a good way to 'describe' it, I'm open to suggestions...

I basically put a pointer to the Mission Statement and left it at that...

Will address the other points later tonight...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
Thomas Good
Date:
I like the ballcap, believe I'll order one...

BTW, Scrappy - I expect I have one cd remaining on my sub.
Are you planning on burning any copies of 6.5.1 for the sub
recipients?

Thanks,
Tom

Still hoping to see that pachyderm on the cover of an O'Reilly
book someday...

------- North Richmond Community Mental Health Center -------

Thomas Good                                   MIS Coordinator
Vital Signs:                  tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
                                          Phone: 718-354-5528
                                          Fax:   718-354-5056

/* Member: Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility */

Date:
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Thomas Good wrote:

> I like the ballcap, believe I'll order one...
>
> BTW, Scrappy - I expect I have one cd remaining on my sub.
> Are you planning on burning any copies of 6.5.1 for the sub
> recipients?

It was my opinion (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that it
would be inappropriate to send a subscriber a minor-minor release...I was
only doing minor releases todate (6.4, 6.5, etc), except where someone
orders when v6.5.1 is active (we burn them on the spot)...

If you want a v6.5.1 CD sent to you, I have no problem with that, don't
get me wrong, but it was my opinion that those having it sent to them
wouldn't want to get a second CD within a short period of time after the
release, and counting as part of their subscription...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

PQsendQuery

From
Michael Simms
Date:
Hi

I have a query regarding PQsendQuery that doesnt seem to be well explained
in the docs. My basic situation is that I want to run a series of queries
quickly, and I dont care what the result of them is (it is an insert).

1 ) When I run PQsendQuery(), can I then immediately run PQexec() or do I
have to wait till the PQsendQuery has returned.

2 ) If I use PQconsumeInput(), does this tell the backend to not send the
results of any queries pending? Or do I still get new ones coming back at me?

3 ) Finally, what happens if I close the database connection when I still have
a queue of queries sitting in the PQsendQuery queue?

From what I have observed, I would guess:

1 ) PQexec is safe and jumps to the front of the queue
2 ) All future queries are still piped through
3 ) The unhandled queries are trashed.

Thanks
                    M Simms

Re: [GENERAL] ElephantWear Now Available...

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> I was reading that India used elephants for calvary, and really won some
> major battles.

History class: Hannibal used Elephants to fight the Romans and won at
least the battles at Trebia in 218 BC, the Trasimener Lake (217 BC) and
Canae (216 BC)

Date:
On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Thomas Good wrote:
>
> > I like the ballcap, believe I'll order one...
> >
> > BTW, Scrappy - I expect I have one cd remaining on my sub.
> > Are you planning on burning any copies of 6.5.1 for the sub
> > recipients?
>
> It was my opinion (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that it
> would be inappropriate to send a subscriber a minor-minor release...I was
> only doing minor releases todate (6.4, 6.5, etc), except where someone
> orders when v6.5.1 is active (we burn them on the spot)...

Hmm...maybe I dozed off but I don't seem to have received 6.5...
I looked in my collection here and I have 6.3 and 6.4 but no 6.5.
Could be the USPS I suppose.  They're almost as competent as Canada
Post (scary, eh?)

> If you want a v6.5.1 CD sent to you, I have no problem with that, don't
> get me wrong, but it was my opinion that those having it sent to them
> wouldn't want to get a second CD within a short period of time after the
> release, and counting as part of their subscription...

From my perspective, I'd just as soon not get the 6.X as the 6.X.1 (or 2)
is usually a bit tighter.

Anyway, I should be due to expire soon.  Do you send out a notification
to subscribers who are on their last disk?

Cheers,
Tom