PostgreSQL status report

Date:
Version 6.5 has been a very stable release.  The developers were
twiddling their thumbs waiting serious bug reports that never occurred.
We had a few bugs, but they were mostly rare with easy workarounds.

We are packaging version 6.5.1 to be released next week.  Announcements
of the release will be made in the usual places.  We believe this will
be the final 6.5.* release.  Then, we will start on the next major
version, to be released in 3-5 months.

Our web site has been overhauled in the past few weeks.  I am sure you
will like the new layout.  The FAQ and TODO list have been overhauled
too.  The new versions appear on our web site.  In fact, the TODO list
is more of a bugs/missing_features/TODO list.

An article on the history of PostgreSQL development was written.  You
can view it on our web site, from the main home page(www.postgresql.org)
or on our FAQ & Documenation page.  It also appears in the July issue of
Daemon News(www.daemonnews.org).

Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL status report

From
Stuart Rison
Date:
Another 'lost' mirror is http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/www.postgresql.org/

the server is currently down for major repairs but the mirror seems to have
been discontinued long before that (you could still get a page but it was
the 'pre-blue period' mostly yellow elephant page).

Is it lost forever?

regards,

Stuart.

At 1:06 pm -0400 17/7/99, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Version 6.5 has been a very stable release.  The developers were
>twiddling their thumbs waiting serious bug reports that never occurred.
>We had a few bugs, but they were mostly rare with easy workarounds.
>
>We are packaging version 6.5.1 to be released next week.  Announcements
>of the release will be made in the usual places.  We believe this will
>be the final 6.5.* release.  Then, we will start on the next major
>version, to be released in 3-5 months.
>
>Our web site has been overhauled in the past few weeks.  I am sure you
>will like the new layout.  The FAQ and TODO list have been overhauled
>too.  The new versions appear on our web site.  In fact, the TODO list
>is more of a bugs/missing_features/TODO list.
>
>An article on the history of PostgreSQL development was written.  You
>can view it on our web site, from the main home page(www.postgresql.org)
>or on our FAQ & Documenation page.  It also appears in the July issue of
>Daemon News(www.daemonnews.org).
>

>--
>  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>  maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
>  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
>  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Stuart C. G. Rison       | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+--------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| N.B. new phone code!!    | London, W1P 8BT                      |
| Tel. +44 (0)207 878 4041 | UNITED KINGDOM                       |
| Fax. +44 (0)207 878 4040 | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |
+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL status report

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Stuart Rison wrote:

> Another 'lost' mirror is http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/www.postgresql.org/
>
> the server is currently down for major repairs but the mirror seems to have
> been discontinued long before that (you could still get a page but it was
> the 'pre-blue period' mostly yellow elephant page).
>
> Is it lost forever?

The only mirror I have for the UK is: postgresql.rmplc.co.uk

The mirrors and sites pages on http://www.postgresql.org/ are updated
regularly.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL status report

From
Stuart Rison
Date:
Hi Vince,

At 7:27 am -0400 19/7/99, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Stuart Rison wrote:
>
>> Another 'lost' mirror is http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/www.postgresql.org/
>>
>> the server is currently down for major repairs but the mirror seems to have
>> been discontinued long before that (you could still get a page but it was
>> the 'pre-blue period' mostly yellow elephant page).
>>
>> Is it lost forever?
>
>The only mirror I have for the UK is: postgresql.rmplc.co.uk

Indeed and that is the UK mirror I now use.  But the sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk
mirror most definitely used to exist and I wondered if anybody knew why
(if?) it had been terminally discontinued.

It's a very useful mirror for all UK academics because it's on the JANET
super-fast network.  It may be just a question of writing to someone
(webmaster) there and asking to go on mirroring but I though I'd first ask
if anyone had any relevant info.

>The mirrors and sites pages on http://www.postgresql.org/ are updated
>regularly.

regards,

Stuart.

+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Stuart C. G. Rison       | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+--------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| N.B. new phone code!!    | London, W1P 8BT                      |
| Tel. +44 (0)207 878 4041 | UNITED KINGDOM                       |
| Fax. +44 (0)207 878 4040 | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |
+--------------------------+--------------------------------------+

Make announcement list moderated?

From
Janne Snabb
Date:
Dear PostgreSQL team,

Please, could you make the PostgreSQL announcement list moderated?
IMHO it should be for announcements only, not for any discussions.

I am pretty annoyed of all the discussions and product database testings
etc. which tend to continue in the announcement list from time to time
and flood my mailbox with off-topic junk. I don't want to un-subscribe
because I'd like to be informed of the important developments in the
PostgreSQL area, as it is clearly one of the best free SQL database
engines available today.

[ I am not a member of pgsql-general. Just writing to it as there
  does not seem to be announce-owner/owner-announce address. ]

--
Janne Snabb
snabb@iki.fi

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL status report

From
"Finn Kettner"
Date:
On 19 Jul 99 at 13:48 Stuart Rison wrote about Re: [ANNOUNCE] Re:
[GENERAL] Postgr:

> >> Another 'lost' mirror is http://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/www.postgresql.org/

Plus the danish mirror sunste.auc.dk, which probably have pulled down
their mirroring.

> >The only mirror I have for the UK is: postgresql.rmplc.co.uk

> >The mirrors and sites pages on http://www.postgresql.org/ are updated
> >regularly.

Yes, but this is inconvenient when you are automatically redirected
to a non-existing mirror. I've been unable to locate a postgres
mirror for last few weeks (I can't remember the other mirrors, so I'm
a little lost).

Yours faithfully.
Finn Kettner.