problem with PostgreSQL 6.5 on Linux

From
Howie
Date:
after installing pgsql-6.5 ( on a machine with pgsql-6.4.2 installed and
running ), initdb creates a PG_VERSION file that still reports 6.4;
subsequent psql connections fail to connect, complaining about "no
compatible version of postgres found".

before you ask:
yes, ive made sure that im using 6.5's initdb.
yes, ive made sure that initdb is looking in the 6.5 dir for its template.
yes, its writing to a 6.5 dir.

so, errr, what gives?

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

Re: [GENERAL] problem with PostgreSQL 6.5 on Linux

From
"Dan Wilson"
Date:
I ran into the same problem and it turned out to be an outdated version of
psql.  Check your path to see if you are accessing the correct version of
psql, pg_dump etc..

-Dan Wilson

Date:
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Dan Wilson wrote:

> I ran into the same problem and it turned out to be an outdated version of
> psql.  Check your path to see if you are accessing the correct version of
> psql, pg_dump etc..

it is; ive made sure of that.  stripped all the permissions off of the
entire 6.4.2 install tree, in fact.

manually cat'ing $PGDATA/PG_VERSION shows that its indeed "6.4" instead of
"6.5".  i can manually echo 6.5 >$PGDATA/PG_VERSION, fixing the connection
problem, but i more concerned with why this is occurring.

as a sidenote, 'initdb' doesnt appear to be creating the proper pg_*
tables; pg_user doesnt exist.  im starting to think the compile went
bad...

there also seems to be an ongoing problem with psql and importing TEXT
fields via COPY.  i can import a relatively large (~490k entries ) table
w/o text fields just fine, but importing an 11k entry table _with_ text
entries fails with a buffer overflow.  this has happened since pgsql 6.3.2

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

Re: [GENERAL] problem with PostgreSQL 6.5 on Linux

From
M Simms

> after installing pgsql-6.5 ( on a machine with pgsql-6.4.2 installed and
> running ), initdb creates a PG_VERSION file that still reports 6.4;
> subsequent psql connections fail to connect, complaining about "no
> compatible version of postgres found".
>
> before you ask:
> yes, ive made sure that im using 6.5's initdb.
> yes, ive made sure that initdb is looking in the 6.5 dir for its template.
> yes, its writing to a 6.5 dir.
>
> so, errr, what gives?

Check you killed the postmaster for the old version, thats what I forgot
to do, and those were my exact symptoms.

Re: [GENERAL] problem with PostgreSQL 6.5 on Linux [solved]

From
Howie
Date:
On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, M Simms wrote:

> > after installing pgsql-6.5 ( on a machine with pgsql-6.4.2 installed and
> > running ), initdb creates a PG_VERSION file that still reports 6.4;
> > subsequent psql connections fail to connect, complaining about "no
> > compatible version of postgres found".
> >
> > before you ask:
> > yes, ive made sure that im using 6.5's initdb.
> > yes, ive made sure that initdb is looking in the 6.5 dir for its template.
> > yes, its writing to a 6.5 dir.
> >
> > so, errr, what gives?
>
> Check you killed the postmaster for the old version, thats what I forgot
> to do, and those were my exact symptoms.

actually, it didnt have anything to do with the older version.  for some
reason, "pg_version" wasnt copied into pgsql-6.5/bin.  my apologies for
not picking this up when 'initdb' ran ( believe me, im smacking myself
in the head about this ).

why it defaulted to '6.4' or exactly how '6.4' showed up is beyond me,
however.

heh, now to import all my dbs... *shudder*

---