What does this mean ?

From
Mario Jorge Nunes Filipe
Date:
Hi

I am receiving this message when doing a begin:

NOTICE: BeginTransactionBlock and not in default state.

What does this mean ?
--
        Mario Filipe
        mjnf@uevora.pt

Attachment

Re: [GENERAL] What does this mean ?

From
Thomas Reinke
Date:
You have already started a transaction and haven't yet
finished it.

E.g.

psql template;
BEGIN;
BEGIN;

Mario Jorge Nunes Filipe wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am receiving this message when doing a begin:
>
> NOTICE: BeginTransactionBlock and not in default state.
>
> What does this mean ?
> --
>         Mario Filipe
>         mjnf@uevora.pt
>         http://neptuno.sc.uevora.pt/~mjnf

Thomas Reinke                            Tel: (416) 460-7021
Director of Technology                   Fax: (416) 598-2319
E-Soft Inc.                         http://www.e-softinc.com

Date:
Thomas Reinke wrote:

> You have already started a transaction and haven't yet
> finished it.
>
> E.g.
>
> psql template;
> BEGIN;
> BEGIN;

    Not that i don't believe you but i think that in my case that is a tid
bit impossible. The error comes from a php script. On that script i open
the connection, then i do a select and then the begin. So there isn't
anyother begin. I've tryed to run an abort before that but it still
doen't return a result, althoug there is no message error either.

    I really need help here, because i really need this thing working with
transactions. Just in case here is the code:

pg_Exec($conn, "abort");
$result = @pg_Exec($conn, "begin");
if (!$result);
  $msg ="sac-pcgra (2):".addslashes(pg_ErrorMessage($conn));
  $msg = chop($msg);
  echo "<script>alert(\"$msg\");history.go(-1)</script>";
  pg_Close($conn);
  exit;
}

When running this i always get an alert box saying "sac-pcgra(2):".

What is wrong?

Thanks

--
        Mario Filipe
        mjnf@uevora.pt
        http://neptuno.sc.uevora.pt/~mjnf

Attachment

Re: [GENERAL] What does this mean ?

From
M Simms
Date:
>     I really need help here, because i really need this thing working with
> transactions. Just in case here is the code:
>
> pg_Exec($conn, "abort");
> $result = @pg_Exec($conn, "begin");
> if (!$result);
>   $msg ="sac-pcgra (2):".addslashes(pg_ErrorMessage($conn));
>   $msg = chop($msg);
>   echo "<script>alert(\"$msg\");history.go(-1)</script>";
>   pg_Close($conn);
>   exit;
> }
>

> When running this i always get an alert box saying "sac-pcgra(2):".
>
> What is wrong?

In the program, have you forked since opening the connection to the database?
If so, you MUST open a new connection in the child process rather than
use the same one that is alive in the parent. This could be the problem...

Re: [GENERAL] What does this mean ?

From
Adam Haberlach
Date:
On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 05:01:29PM +0100, Mario Jorge Nunes Filipe wrote:
> Thomas Reinke wrote:
> >
> > You have already started a transaction and haven't yet
> > finished it.
> >
> > E.g.
> >
> > psql template;
> > BEGIN;
> > BEGIN;
>
>     Not that i don't believe you but i think that in my case that is a tid
> bit impossible. The error comes from a php script. On that script i open
> the connection, then i do a select and then the begin. So there isn't
> anyother begin. I've tryed to run an abort before that but it still
> doen't return a result, althoug there is no message error either.
>
>     I really need help here, because i really need this thing working with
> transactions. Just in case here is the code:
>
> pg_Exec($conn, "abort");
> $result = @pg_Exec($conn, "begin");
> if (!$result);
>   $msg ="sac-pcgra (2):".addslashes(pg_ErrorMessage($conn));
>   $msg = chop($msg);
>   echo "<script>alert(\"$msg\");history.go(-1)</script>";
>   pg_Close($conn);
>   exit;
> }

    Here is some code from one of my projects (displays the top 15
speakers in a database of irc transactions).  I don't bother to post
a COMMIT in this case because it is just a select.  On another system,
I do get warning (not error) messages about not COMMITing transactions,
btw.

        $pgconn = pg_connect("socket", "5432", "", "", "slashnet");

        $result = pg_exec($pgconn, "BEGIN");
        $result = pg_exec($pgconn, "DECLARE foo CURSOR FOR select nick, count(*) as tcoun
t from messages group by nick order by tcount desc");
        $result = pg_exec($pgconn, "FETCH 15 IN foo");
        $rows = pg_numrows($result);

Re: [GENERAL] What does this mean ?

From
Remigiusz Sokolowski

> pg_Exec($conn, "abort");
> $result = @pg_Exec($conn, "begin");
> if (!$result);
>   $msg ="sac-pcgra (2):".addslashes(pg_ErrorMessage($conn));
>   $msg = chop($msg);
>   echo "<script>alert(\"$msg\");history.go(-1)</script>";
>   pg_Close($conn);
>   exit;
> }

Error is that You just dont END your transaction
before pg_Close You should have a line pg_Exec( $conn, "END;" );
pg_Close closes Your connection, but doesn't end Your transactions
    Rem

-------------------------------------------------------------------*------------
Remigiusz Sokolowski      e-mail: rems@gdansk.sprint.pl           * *
-----------------------------------------------------------------*****----------

Date:
Remigiusz Sokolowski wrote:
> Error is that You just dont END your transaction
> before pg_Close You should have a line pg_Exec( $conn, "END;" );
> pg_Close closes Your connection, but doesn't end Your transactions

    Ok! I'll give it a try ut i find that to be wierd since the code only
enters that section that i sent before if the exec doesn't return
anything usefull...

--

Date:
> Remigiusz Sokolowski wrote:
> > Error is that You just dont END your transaction
> > before pg_Close You should have a line pg_Exec( $conn, "END;" );
> > pg_Close closes Your connection, but doesn't end Your transactions
>
>     Ok! I'll give it a try ut i find that to be wierd since the code only
> enters that section that i sent before if the exec doesn't return
> anything usefull...

But as I remember well (I've deleted previous mails)
Your pg_Exec($conn, "BEGIN;"); call was before "if" statement -
and pg_Close( $conn ) and pg_Exec( $conn, "END;") (if You add it) inside
if - so there are two possible ways of programm flow
First one - You connect to database, open transaction and if "if"
condition is true there are executed statement inside "if" - this should
lead us to point when all is ok - and transaction and connection are
closed

if "if" condition is false then You have an open transaction and no end.

so the whole piece of code should look like:

pg_Connect
pg_Exec( $conn, "BEGIN;");
if condition {
    some things, You wanna do
    pg_Exec( $conn, "END;" );
} else {
    pg_Exec( $conn, "ABORT;")
}
pg_Close( $conn )

I don't remember well, so I could be wrong
    Rem