Is there an auto incrementing number field?

From
"Robert Chalmers"
Date:
I'm looking through the 6.5 specs, and wondering if there is an
Auto-Incrementing field in this release?

of if not, is there a way of achieving this end? So that as I add a new
record to a table, it's '#ID' for example is automatically added. 1, 2, 3,
4,... and so on

thanks
Bob

---  http://4qir.quantum-radio.net.au - Where Only The Dedicated Survive!
4QIR Quantum Radio. Bringing you the original sounds of AFVN, with some of
the
original DJ's - back on air - and supporting not only the original Vets, in
comprehensive AFVN Archives, but putting together segments for the fighting
men and
women of todays services all around the world. World Music, for people of
the world.

Re: [GENERAL] Is there an auto incrementing number field?

From
dustin sallings
Date:
    There has been for a while, it's called serial.

// I'm looking through the 6.5 specs, and wondering if there is an
// Auto-Incrementing field in this release?
//

--
Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching America,
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
L______________________________________________ and America is watching TV. __

Re: [GENERAL] Is there an auto incrementing number field?

From
"Robert Chalmers"
Date:
Ar ha.  I see it all now.  I tired to figure it out from that rather cryptic
detail in the docs. and couldn't make anything work.  Now I know what it
does, I'll try again.

thanks folks
bc

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Robert Chalmers wrote:
>
> There has been for a while, it's called serial.
>
> // I'm looking through the 6.5 specs, and wondering if there is an
> // Auto-Incrementing field in this release?
> //
> // of if not, is there a way of achieving this end? So that as I add a new
> // record to a table, it's '#ID' for example is automatically added. 1, 2,
3,
> // 4,... and so on
> //
> // thanks
> // Bob
> //
> // ---  http://4qir.quantum-radio.net.au - Where Only The Dedicated
Survive!
> // 4QIR Quantum Radio. Bringing you the original sounds of AFVN, with some
of
> // the
> // original DJ's - back on air - and supporting not only the original
Vets, in
> // comprehensive AFVN Archives, but putting together segments for the
fighting
> // men and
> // women of todays services all around the world. World Music, for people
of
> // the world.
> //
> //
> //
> //
>
> --
> Principal Member Technical Staff, beyond.com    The world is watching
America,
> pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
> |    Key fingerprint =  87 02 57 08 02 D0 DA D6  C8 0F 3E 65 51 98 D8 BE
> L______________________________________________ and America is watching
TV. __

Re: [GENERAL] Is there an auto incrementing number field?

From
Christian Rudow
Date:
Robert Chalmers wrote:

> I'm looking through the 6.5 specs, and wondering if there is an
> Auto-Incrementing field in this release?
>
> of if not, is there a way of achieving this end? So that as I add a new
> record to a table, it's '#ID' for example is automatically added. 1, 2, 3,
> 4,... and so on

Im using "create sequence ...." on INTEGER id's.
You can also use SERIAL constraint (which does the same thing).

Try pgaccess to have a look at the current state of your sequences.
Nice.

Chris
Christian Rudow                 E-Mail: Christian.Rudow@thinx.ch
ThinX networked business services    Stahlrain 10, CH-5200 Brugg