Two questions about 6.5

From
Christian Ullrich
Date:
Hello all,

I have two questions about PostgreSQL 6.5:

1. CLUSTER does not work on indexes with more than one field. Is this
   correct?

2. In the distribution tarball, the top-level directory is
   "postgresl-6.5". Isn't there a 'q' missing?

--
Christian Ullrich

Problem with perl / postgres

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
I've got this simple query...

SELECT id, title, summary, datetime, datetime::date AS date FROM poll
WHERE id = ?

which works from psql but fails with "bad parameter" from perl. If I
take out the "datetime::date AS date" bit it starts working.

Why would a query work in psql but not perl?

--
Chris Bitmead
mailto:chris@tech.com.au

Re: [GENERAL] Two questions about 6.5

Date:
> Hello all,
>
> I have two questions about PostgreSQL 6.5:
>
> 1. CLUSTER does not work on indexes with more than one field. Is this
>    correct?

It seems to work here:

    test=> create table te(x int, y int);
    CREATE
    test=> create index i_te on te(x,y);
    CREATE
    test=> cluster i_te on te;
    CLUSTER

Can you supply and example.

> 2. In the distribution tarball, the top-level directory is
>    "postgresl-6.5". Isn't there a 'q' missing?

I believe this has been corrected.

Re: [GENERAL] Problem with perl / postgres

From
Stuart Rison
Date:
Hi Chris,

I don't know why it works in psql but not in perl but I've had problems
casting datetime as date before.

In pg 6.4 the cast fails (and by that I mean it yields an error) if
datetime is NULL.  A possible 'workaround' is to double-cast:

select date( abstime( dt ) ) from test1;

Now because your query works in psql but not in perl, I don't think that
casting of NULLs is likely to be the problem but hey, it's worth a shot.

On a final note, I think datetime and date are reserved keywords so it's
probably best to rename your attribute 'datetime' and your synonym 'date'!

HTH,

Stuart.

>I've got this simple query...
>
>SELECT id, title, summary, datetime, datetime::date AS date FROM poll
>WHERE id = ?
>
>which works from psql but fails with "bad parameter" from perl. If I
>take out the "datetime::date AS date" bit it starts working.
>
>Why would a query work in psql but not perl?
>
>--
>Chris Bitmead
>mailto:chris@tech.com.au
>http://www.techphoto.org - Photography News, Stuff that Matters

| Stuart Rison            | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street               |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041    | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM.     |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040    | stuart@ludwig.ucl.ac.uk              |