PostGreSQL and LiveWire??

From
Ferdi
Date:
On a Unix (Solaris 2.6 + Netscapte enterprise) i have to interconnect a
database and an internet site. I would like to know if i can use
LiveWire (netscape solution) to work with PostGreSQL.

Particularely, i have to secure an access by using a user profile saved
in a database. So if you have example which use PostGreSQL, it'ld be
great.

Thanks a lot
-------------------------
Fabien FERDINANDY
fabien.cogelog@wanadoo.fr
France
-------------------------

Re: [GENERAL] PostGreSQL and LiveWire??

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
At 11:19 +0300 on 07/05/1999, Ferdi wrote:

> On a Unix (Solaris 2.6 + Netscapte enterprise) i have to interconnect a
> database and an internet site. I would like to know if i can use
> LiveWire (netscape solution) to work with PostGreSQL.
>
> Particularely, i have to secure an access by using a user profile saved
> in a database. So if you have example which use PostGreSQL, it'ld be
> great.

In theory, you can, through ODBC. That is, you have to use a unix ODBC
system, install the PostgreSQL ODBC driver, and then use it as the database
source.

I never tried this, though.

As for questions about the ODBC driver and even this particular question,
the INTERFACES list is probably more appropriate.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma

Re: [GENERAL] PostGreSQL and LiveWire??

From
Thomas Reinke
Date:
Doesn't LiveWire support Java? If memory serves, it is server side
JavaScript with the capability to interface to server side Java
code. Since PostGreSQL has a JDBC set of drivers, this sounds
like it may be a quite feasible way to go without needing to
configure ODBC...

Thomas

Date:
At 19:21 +0300 on 09/05/1999, Thomas Reinke wrote:

> Doesn't LiveWire support Java? If memory serves, it is server side
> JavaScript with the capability to interface to server side Java
> code. Since PostGreSQL has a JDBC set of drivers, this sounds
> like it may be a quite feasible way to go without needing to
> configure ODBC...

In theory, this is possible, however, it makes your work very hard. Instead
of using the Server-side Javascript methods for database connection pools
and database connections, you have to write Java objects to do the same
things and use them. Makes for a lot of work in development. Besides, I'm
not sure which version of Java is currently supported by LiveWire, but it
always lags behind the current market release of Java.

Herouth