Indexing of text fields

From
Adam Haberlach
Date:
    I am going to be working with a database with a lot of rather
large text fields in it.  To do some profiling, I have hacked up an
IRC bot to submit messages into a database.  I cannot seem to get any
of my queries to use the indexes I create on the msg field--is there
something specific I need to use when I create the index or write
the query?
    I'm hoping to migrate from FileMaker, which aparently has
excellent indexing of text fields (but sucks in a lot of other ways).
I need to prove that what I'm doing is worth it.

ISP with PostgreSQL

From
Gilles Darold
Date:
Hi all,

Is anybody know an ISP which provided PostgreSQL access ? I'm developping
powerfull solution for Ebusiness using Linux RedHat 5.2 and PostgreSQL
6.4.2. But
I can't find any ISP running PostgreSQL, they all works with MySQL.

Porting to this database or other, is not so difficult because I use
Perl/DBI but I really don't
want to. I want PostgreSQL because I need PostgreSQL as a professional
solution.

Also, I'm a free developper. I do it by myself on my sleep time as most
part of you,
so I need cheapest services :-)))...

Thanks a lot,

Gilles Darold

RE: [GENERAL] ISP with PostgreSQL

From
"Daryl W. Dunbar"
Date:
Yea.  Check out Epoch Internet, http://www.eni.net, 1-888-77-EPOCH,
I think they offer PostgreSQL.  You'll probably have to call to find
out, I don't remember anything on the web page.

DwD

tc lewis
Date:
hostme.com doesn't do dialup access, but does web hosting, and provides a
choice of mysql or postgresql free with any option.  they (we, actually
*grin*) work with redhat linux/gnu systems.

check it out if you want: www.hostme.com
no big deal if not.  =)

-tcl.
tim@iuinc.com

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Gilles Darold wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Is anybody know an ISP which provided PostgreSQL access ? I'm developping
> powerfull solution for Ebusiness using Linux RedHat 5.2 and PostgreSQL
> 6.4.2. But
> I can't find any ISP running PostgreSQL, they all works with MySQL.
>
> Porting to this database or other, is not so difficult because I use
> Perl/DBI but I really don't
> want to. I want PostgreSQL because I need PostgreSQL as a professional
> solution.
>
> Also, I'm a free developper. I do it by myself on my sleep time as most
> part of you,
> so I need cheapest services :-)))...
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Gilles Darold

Re: [GENERAL] ISP with PostgreSQL

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
We offer PostgreSQL services...see http://www.hub.org/prices.html, and
note that all prices are in Canadian Dollars...

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Gilles Darold wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Is anybody know an ISP which provided PostgreSQL access ? I'm developping
> powerfull solution for Ebusiness using Linux RedHat 5.2 and PostgreSQL
> 6.4.2. But
> I can't find any ISP running PostgreSQL, they all works with MySQL.
>
> Porting to this database or other, is not so difficult because I use
> Perl/DBI but I really don't
> want to. I want PostgreSQL because I need PostgreSQL as a professional
> solution.
>
> Also, I'm a free developper. I do it by myself on my sleep time as most
> part of you,
> so I need cheapest services :-)))...
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Gilles Darold