Postgres Future?

From
Adriaan Joubert
Date:
Hi,

    I'vew been using Postgres since version 6.0, so for a considerable
period of time now. I have written quite a lot of code for postgres and
would be very reluctant to move to another database. Unfortunately quite
a few view-related queries are broken in 6.3.4 and I would like to
upgrade.

I do have a question about the future of Postgres on Digital Alpha (we
use almost exclusively DEC machines), as I have not managed to get any
of the 6.4.* versions to compile or run on DEC Alpha. I downloaded the
newest snapshot, managed to get it compiled and it failed all except 8
regression tests. I assume that has a lot to do with the Alphas being
64bit machines. Are there any plans to continue to support Alpha's, or
should I give up and look for an alternative?

I would be happy to compile snapshots and I can fix simple syntax bugs
etc to help to get postgres running on Alphas again, but I cannot get it
fixed by myself (I've tried and just got lost in the code).

Cheers,

Adriaan

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future?

Date:
> Hi,
>
>     I'vew been using Postgres since version 6.0, so for a considerable
> period of time now. I have written quite a lot of code for postgres and
> would be very reluctant to move to another database. Unfortunately quite
> a few view-related queries are broken in 6.3.4 and I would like to
> upgrade.
>
> I do have a question about the future of Postgres on Digital Alpha (we
> use almost exclusively DEC machines), as I have not managed to get any
> of the 6.4.* versions to compile or run on DEC Alpha. I downloaded the
> newest snapshot, managed to get it compiled and it failed all except 8
> regression tests. I assume that has a lot to do with the Alphas being
> 64bit machines. Are there any plans to continue to support Alpha's, or
> should I give up and look for an alternative?
>
> I would be happy to compile snapshots and I can fix simple syntax bugs
> etc to help to get postgres running on Alphas again, but I cannot get it
> fixed by myself (I've tried and just got lost in the code).

Seems we manage to mess up the 64-bit Alpha platform fairly regularly,
but don't have enough people testing the betas to put out a good final
release that works on alpha 100% of the time.

We basically need someone on Alpha involved in the beta process, when
that starts, who can run tests and show backtraces of the problems.

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future?

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Adriaan Joubert wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'vew been using Postgres since version 6.0, so for a considerable
> period of time now. I have written quite a lot of code for postgres and
> would be very reluctant to move to another database. Unfortunately quite
> a few view-related queries are broken in 6.3.4 and I would like to
> upgrade.
>
> I do have a question about the future of Postgres on Digital Alpha (we
> use almost exclusively DEC machines), as I have not managed to get any
> of the 6.4.* versions to compile or run on DEC Alpha. I downloaded the
> newest snapshot, managed to get it compiled and it failed all except 8
> regression tests. I assume that has a lot to do with the Alphas being
> 64bit machines. Are there any plans to continue to support Alpha's, or
> should I give up and look for an alternative?

There are no plans on discontinuing any of the ports that we have...the
problem is more availability of testers for them.  If you find problems
wtih any existing port of the server, please post a detailed report to
pgsql-ports@postgresql.org, if its a released version of PostgreSQL.  If
you are playing with the snapshots, post it directly to
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org, since it might be something that we *just*
broken fixing somethign else...

We have a 1 month BETA period before a release, where we hope that those
that care about the various ports will take the time to test and run
regression tests...unfortunately, for those using it in a production
environment, this isn't always possible, so some ports get less attention
then others ;(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

combining contents of two fields into a new field?

From
"William J. Stotts"
Date:
Hi folks,

Please excuse this question for it shows my ignorance;-)

I need to combine the contents of three different fields into a single
field. I understand how to perform an update on a field with the contents
of another field via a query like:
 UPDATE dice_data SET dice_new_phone = dice_prefix

I need to update this field with a concatenation of three fields actually.
What I am ignorant of is how to perform such an update. WOuld someone
kindly guide me in how to perform such an update?

Thanks in advance8-)

Bill Stotts

ps-please reply to me directly as well as the mailing list.

Bill Stotts                          |  Voice: 860-616-7535
wstotts@sonitrol.net                 |    Fax: 860-616-7589
Sonitrol Communications Corp.        |

_SONITROL_ Expect the best...        |  Where do you want to GO tomorrow?

Re: [GENERAL] combining contents of two fields into a new field?

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
With the || concationation operator, as so:

UPDATE dice_data SET dice_new_phone = dice_prefix || dice_phone

Note, however, that for some reason you must add axplicit parens for
multiple concats:

UPDATE dice_data SET dice_new_phone = dice_prefix || dice_phone ||
dice_suffix

won't work (yet!), but:

UPDATE dice_data SET dice_new_phone = (dice_prefix || dice_phone)||
dice_suffix

should.

William J. Stotts wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Please excuse this question for it shows my ignorance;-)
>
> I need to combine the contents of three different fields into a single
> field. I understand how to perform an update on a field with the contents
> of another field via a query like:
>  UPDATE dice_data SET dice_new_phone = dice_prefix
>
> I need to update this field with a concatenation of three fields actually.
> What I am ignorant of is how to perform such an update. WOuld someone
> kindly guide me in how to perform such an update?
>
> Thanks in advance8-)
>
> Bill Stotts
>
> ps-please reply to me directly as well as the mailing list.

> Bill Stotts                          |  Voice: 860-616-7535
> wstotts@sonitrol.net                 |    Fax: 860-616-7589
> Sonitrol Communications Corp.        |
> _SONITROL_ Expect the best...        |  Where do you want to GO tomorrow?

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [GENERAL] combining contents of two fields into a new field?

From
Jeff Hoffmann
Date:
"William J. Stotts" wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Please excuse this question for it shows my ignorance;-)
>
> I need to combine the contents of three different fields into a single
> field. I understand how to perform an update on a field with the contents
> of another field via a query like:
>  UPDATE dice_data SET dice_new_phone = dice_prefix
>
> I need to update this field with a concatenation of three fields actually.
> What I am ignorant of is how to perform such an update. WOuld someone
> kindly guide me in how to perform such an update?

if the fields are character data, you'd want to use the concatenate
operator "||".  the last i checked, you can't string a bunch of fields
together, so more than two fields is a PITA (you have to use a bunch of
parentheses to group things together).  there was talk of changing this,
but i forget what happened to it.

for example a phone number might be something like this:

update my_data set new_phone = (('(' || area_code) || ') ') || ((prefix
|| '-') || number);

(i hope i got the parentheses right, and i hope this helps.)

jeff

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future: Postgres on Digital Alpha

From
Rodney McDuff
Date:
Hi  Adriaan
    I've recently compiled postgresql 6.4.2 of a dec alpha (running DU4.0D)
I set the follow environment variables
setenv CC cc
setenv CFLAGS "-O4 -std"
setenv CPPFLAGS "-I/usr/local/include"
setenv LDFLAGS "-L/usr/local/lib"
setenv LIBS ""

created a Makefile.custom in the source directory with contents
CUSTOM_COPT= -O4 -std

Add the following to Makefile.shlib (you may hae to change a few things here)
ifeq ($(PORTNAME), alpha)
  install-shlib-dep     := install-shlib
  shlib := lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX)
  LDFLAGS_SL := -shared -msym -s  -rpath /usr/local/pgsql/lib -check_registry
/usr/shlib/so_locations -check_registry /usr/local/lib/so_location
-update_registry /usr/local/lib/so_locations
endif

and ran
./configure  --with-template=alpha

If you want the plpgsql stuff then go into src/pl/plpgsql/src and relink
libplpgsql.so without the "-L../../../interfaces/libpq -lpq"

The reression tests in src/test/regress mostly work. Below is a summary of
this with my own annotation as to why some of the failure were ok. (I'll also
attach the regression.diff file if anyone want to know)

boolean ..          ok
char ..          ok
name ..          ok
varchar ..          ok
text ..          ok
strings ..          ok
int2 ..          failed    ok    (diff error message)
int4 ..          failed    ok    (diff error message)
int8 ..          failed     failed    (failed big time:)
oid ..          ok
float4 ..          ok
float8 ..          failed     ok    (diff error message)
numerology ..          ok
point ..          ok
lseg ..          ok
box ..          ok
path ..          ok
polygon ..          ok
circle ..          ok
geometry ..          failed     ok    (precision is last digits in some results)
timespan ..          ok
datetime ..          ok
reltime ..          ok
abstime ..          failed    ok    (diff timezone to expected)
tinterval ..          failed    ok    (diff timezone to expected)
horology ..          failed    ok    (diff timezone to expected)
inet ..          failed    failed
comments ..          ok
opr_sanity ..          failed    ok     (added soundex module before test)
create_function_1 ..      ok
create_type ..      ok
create_table ..      ok
create_function_2 ..      ok
constraints ..      ok
triggers ..          ok
copy ..          ok
create_misc ..      ok
create_aggregate ..      ok
create_operator ..      ok
create_view ..      ok
create_index ..      ok
sanity_check ..      ok
errors ..          ok
select ..          ok
select_into ..      ok
select_distinct ..      ok
select_distinct_on ..      ok
select_implicit ..      ok
select_having ..      ok
subselect ..          ok
union ..          ok
aggregates ..          ok
transactions ..      ok
random ..          failed    ok     (this always fails)
portals ..          ok
misc ..          ok
arrays ..          ok
btree_index ..      ok
hash_index ..          ok
select_views ..      ok
alter_table ..          ok
portals_p2 ..          ok
rules ..          ok
install_plpgsql ..      failed    ok    (added plpgsql module before test)
plpgsql ..          ok

The only problem I have with 6.4.2 is getting kerberos 4 authentification
working and getting the perl DBI module to link with the kerberized libpq.so.

Anyway I hope this helps

  +-----------------+------------------------------------------+
  |    _   ^   _    | Dr. Rodney McDuff                        |
  |   |\  /|\  /|   | Network Development, ITS                 |
  |     \  |  /     | The University of Queensland             |
  |      \ | /      | St. Lucia, Brisbane                      |
  |       \|/       | Queensland, Australia. 4072.             |
  |<-------+------->| TELEPHONE: +61 7 3365 8220               |
  |       /|\       | FACSIMILE: +61 7 3365 4477               |
  |      / | \      | EMAIL: mcduff@its.uq.edu.au              |
  |   |/  \|/  \|   |        Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam       |
  |    -   v   -    |            Ex luce ad tenebras           |

Attachment