Access & pgsql

From
Juan Carlos Castro y Castro
Date:
Hi! Let's start with a simple one:

I created tables and fields in a pgsql database with mixed-case names.
like: Teams, Pilots, Drivers, FullName etc.
Then I linked a MS-Access database to the pgsql database, thru PsqlODBC
(latest version).
All table and field names appear in lowercase in Access. Why?

**************************************
*   Depois de tudo que aconteceu,    *
*           você AINDA vai           *
*  botar dinheiro na mão da NIKE??   *  OGY IS POLICY @ THE END
**************************************  L     *****************
                                        O     *     FIGHT     *
UST NO ONE @ DE  E @ BELIEVE THE LIE @ AP     *      THE      *
R             N  T                            *   FUTURE!!!   *
T  ___THE___  Y  A                            *****************
   \  \ /  /     CSUFBO @ EVRES RO TSISER @ ELGIEVNI @ EVIECED @ ET E @
    \  V  /   E  _______________________________________________  O L
     \   /    V |Juan Carlos Castro y Castro                    | H   S
     /   \    E |jcastro@pcshop.com.br                          |   A E
    /  ^  \   R |Linuxeiro, alvinegro, X-Phile e Carioca Folgado| O A I
   /  / \  \  Y |Diretor de Informática e Eventos Sobrenaturais | GIN D
   ~~~   ~~~  T |da E-RACE CORPORATION                          |
     RACER    H  -----------------------------------------------      G
              ING @ E PUR SI MUOVE @ THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE @ EVERYTHIN

Re: [GENERAL] Access & pgsql

From
Oleg Broytmann
Date:
Hi!

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:
> I created tables and fields in a pgsql database with mixed-case names.
> like: Teams, Pilots, Drivers, FullName etc.
> Then I linked a MS-Access database to the pgsql database, thru PsqlODBC
> (latest version).
> All table and field names appear in lowercase in Access. Why?

   This is normal SQL behavior - tables/fields are case-insensitive. If you
want case-sensitive names, surround them with double-quotes:
   "FullName", "Drivers", etc.

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann  National Research Surgery Centre  http://sun.med.ru/~phd/

Re: [GENERAL] Access & pgsql

From
David Hartwig

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro wrote:

> Hi! Let's start with a simple one:
>
> I created tables and fields in a pgsql database with mixed-case names.
> like: Teams, Pilots, Drivers, FullName etc.
> Then I linked a MS-Access database to the pgsql database, thru PsqlODBC
> (latest version).
> All table and field names appear in lowercase in Access. Why?

What you have described has nothing to do with the client side.
PostgreSQL is case in-sensitive unless the identifiers are double quoted.
To make it case in-sensitive, all unquoted identifiers as converted to
lower case.

FYI, if you double quote you may use spaces and other special characters.

Another, FYI, watch out for MS Excel.  If you create a table like:
    CREATE foo (
        "Bar" integer,
        "Bar None" integer
    );
Excel will not quote for the identifier "Bar".   It will, however, quote
"Bar None".   The moral is:   Do not use upper case identifiers with MS
Excel.  Most other ODBC tools (like Access) quote all identifiers. (i.e.
"foo"."Bar")