RE: [GENERAL] IN/NOT IN operators

From
"Jackson, DeJuan"
Date:
This may not be the answer you want to hear but you could just
restructure it into an and-or query.
select * from aa where (bb = 2 and ff = 3) or (bb = 4 and ff = 5);
    -DEJ

CNF vs DNF

From
"Taral"
Date:
> select * from aa where (bb = 2 and ff = 3) or (bb = 4 and ff = 5);

I've been told that the system restructures these in CNF (conjunctive normal
form)... i.e. the above query turns into:

select * from aa where (bb = 2 or bb = 4) and (ff = 3 or bb = 4) and (bb = 2
or ff = 5) and (ff = 3 or ff = 5);

Much longer and much less efficient, AFAICT. Isn't it more efficient to do a
union of many queries (DNF) than an intersection of many subqueries (CNF)?
Certainly remembering the subqueries takes less memory... Also, queries
already in DNF are probably more common than queries in CNF, requiring less
rewrite.

Can someone clarify this?

Taral