Pricing

From
Glenn Sullivan
Date:
Hi,

I am sure this is not the best place to ask this, but I cannot
seem to figure out where else to ask.  I am looking into PostgreSQL
for use in a commerical package.  Is there a charge for using
PostgreSQL this way, and if so, how much does it cost?

Thanks,

Glenn

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Glenn Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am sure this is not the best place to ask this, but I cannot
> seem to figure out where else to ask.  I am looking into PostgreSQL
> for use in a commerical package.  Is there a charge for using
> PostgreSQL this way, and if so, how much does it cost?

    There is no charge for using PostgreSQL in any way, shape or
form...the copyright falls under Berkeley style, which basically says use
to your hearts content, just leave this copyright intact...

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
Jeong Jae Ick:정재익:
Date:
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Glenn Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am sure this is not the best place to ask this, but I cannot
> seem to figure out where else to ask.  I am looking into PostgreSQL
> for use in a commerical package.  Is there a charge for using
> PostgreSQL this way, and if so, how much does it cost?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Glenn

PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.
Free for use.

==========ooOO /. .\ OOoo======================================
   The will is to do something.    | advance@advance.sarang.net
   The truth  is power of mine.    | advances@nownuri.net
                                   | ICQ# : 15760421
    >> ADVANCE in My World >>      | Phone: +82-0551-71-2318
                                   | C.P. : +82-011-871-1959
============OOo./-\.oOO========================================

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
Dustin Sallings
Date:
> PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.
> Free for use.

    ACK!  Take that back!!!  Postgres is free software, not GNU crap.

--
SA, software.net         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Date:
Thus spake =?EUC-KR?B?SmVvbmcgSmFlIEljazrBpMDnwM06?=
> PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.

Nope.  It's the Berserkely license.

> Free for use.

More so than if it was under the GPL.  All you are required to do is keep
the copyright intact.

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, [EUC-KR] Jeong Jae Ick:������: wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Glenn Sullivan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am sure this is not the best place to ask this, but I cannot
> > seem to figure out where else to ask.  I am looking into PostgreSQL
> > for use in a commerical package.  Is there a charge for using
> > PostgreSQL this way, and if so, how much does it cost?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Glenn
> >

> PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.

    Wash your mouth out with soap, then use steel wool...PostgreSQL
was *never* built under the GPL and never will be.  Blasphemer!!

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
James Olin Oden
Date:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, [EUC-KR] Jeong Jae Ick:Á¤ÀçÀÍ: wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Glenn Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am sure this is not the best place to ask this, but I cannot
> > > seem to figure out where else to ask.  I am looking into PostgreSQL
> > > for use in a commerical package.  Is there a charge for using
> > > PostgreSQL this way, and if so, how much does it cost?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Glenn
> > >

> > PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.
>
>         Wash your mouth out with soap, then use steel wool...PostgreSQL
> was *never* built under the GPL and never will be.  Blasphemer!!

  Pardon this ignorant soul, but why so much GNU bashing?  I understand
that PostgreSQL choose a different licensing method, and that it is a good
one, but GNU's not really that bad.  I mean how many times do you think the
PostgreSQL source has been compiled by GNU compilers?

...james

Re: [GENERAL] Pricing

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, James Olin Oden wrote:

> > > PostgreSQL was built under the GPL.
> >
> >         Wash your mouth out with soap, then use steel wool...PostgreSQL
> > was *never* built under the GPL and never will be.  Blasphemer!!
>
>   Pardon this ignorant soul, but why so much GNU bashing?  I understand
> that PostgreSQL choose a different licensing method, and that it is a good
> one, but GNU's not really that bad.  I mean how many times do you think the
> PostgreSQL source has been compiled by GNU compilers?

    Not GNU bashing, GPL bashing.  *Big* difference, in some of our
minds.  There is a reason that Netscape didn't put themselves under GPL
when they went OpenSource...its good for everyone *but* the developer
themselves...

    I run FreeBSD at home for many reasons...one of which is that it
doesn't fall under GPL, unlike some of our brethren out there...