Spam ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Morning...

    Due to the growing amount of spam coming through these mailing
lists, and the increased annoyance it is causing everyone, I'm going to be
enabled a "feature" of Majordomo that allows you to restrict who can post
to the lists to those that are subscribed to the lists.

    This may wreak havoc on ppl, as it means that you have to send to
the lists from that address that you are subscribed to it from.

    I'm going to enable this on all the lists later today (Monday,
July 27th).

    Any postings to the list from those not subscribed (or using a
different address) get bounced to the moderator (me).  I will forward
anything bounced to me, to the list, as appropriate...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [GENERAL] Spam ...

From
Maarten Boekhold
Date:
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning...
>
>     Due to the growing amount of spam coming through these mailing
> lists, and the increased annoyance it is causing everyone, I'm going to be
> enabled a "feature" of Majordomo that allows you to restrict who can post
> to the lists to those that are subscribed to the lists.
>
>     This may wreak havoc on ppl, as it means that you have to send to
> the lists from that address that you are subscribed to it from.

Does this look at the From: or at the Reply-To: line of the header? I
would definitely prefer the last. This also doesn't really open the lists
up again for spammers, since they have to know somebody's subscription
address.

Also, I am personally subscribed with an address that's an MX-record. How
will it behave on those situations?

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Re: [GENERAL] Spam ...

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> Does this look at the From: or at the Reply-To: line of the header?

    I do not know, we'll have to see.  I dont' know Majordomo
internals, so am not sure which header or headers it checks.

> Also, I am personally subscribed with an address that's an MX-record. How
> will it behave on those situations?

    That shouldn't be affected by this change, as it doesn't check
validity of hte address, only that its on the list..