What about Unicode?

From
Dan Delaney
Date:
Does PostgreSQL support Unicode text fields? If not, that would be
AWEFULLY nice! Especially now that so many OSs (the MacOS for one)
and standards (HTML for one) are beginning to use it.
   Thanks.
 --Dan

 Daniel G. Delaney                    The Louisville Times Chorus
 Dionysos@Dionysia.org                   www.LouisvilleTimes.org
 www.Dionysia.org/~dionysos/          Dionysia Design
 ICQ Number: 8171285                     www.Dionysia.com/design/
                   I doubt, therefore I might be.

Re: [GENERAL] What about Unicode?

From
Bruce Tong
Date:
> Does PostgreSQL support Unicode text fields? If not, that would be
> AWEFULLY nice! Especially now that so many OSs (the MacOS for one)
> and standards (HTML for one) are beginning to use it.

Yeah, I'll probably eventually try to exchange data with a Magic Cap OS
based PDA which also uses Unicode. We currently translate to ASCII, but
that causes some problems so supporting Unicode would be nice for me, but
not essential.

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Systems Programmer         |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.
Electronic Vision / FITNE  |
zztong@laxmi.ev.net        |  -- Joe Walsh for the 21st Century

Date:
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:
> Yeah, I'll probably eventually try to exchange data with a Magic Cap OS
> based PDA which also uses Unicode. We currently translate to ASCII, but
> that causes some problems so supporting Unicode would be nice for me, but
> not essential.

Where it would be REALLY great is when you have to store name in
other languages besides english, or even when you just need a lot a
special characters in the english translation of the name which
Latin 1 doesn't have. I can get basic accents in Latin 1, but there
are a lot characters that it just doesn't contain.