Large objects

From
Kurt Seel
Date:
I am having trouble with writing to large objects.
 I am not using lseek, as I have heard it is broken. I simply
read the whole thing into a buffer, edit it, and (attempt to)
write it back out.
 I am doing this from TCL.
 Has any one used large objects successfully?

--
Kurt Seel, Systems Engineer
Unified Technologies Corp.

 To send me email, remove the {anti-spam] from the above address.

Re: [GENERAL] Large objects

> I am having trouble with writing to large objects.
>  I am not using lseek, as I have heard it is broken. I simply
> read the whole thing into a buffer, edit it, and (attempt to)
> write it back out.
>  I am doing this from TCL.
>  Has any one used large objects successfully?

All large object stuff should work in 6.3.2.

Error message

From
Kevin Heflin
Date:
I was working in the psql command line on a particular database, when
things started to work real slow??

Afterwards, I noticed when ever I tried executing anything on a different
database, I was receiving the follow error message.. pertaining to the
original database I had been working on previously:

WARNING: Unable to connect to PostgresSQL server: ERROR cannont write
block 431 of users [shrevenet_linklist] blind in
/pathtofilename/file.php3 on line 4
An error occurred.

the first two links of this error are referencing the origal database I
had been working in. The last two are in reference to the database I was
trying to access just now.

Any suggestions to reason for this? And suggestions on how to track down
such an error? or someway to monitor in real time the POstgres server?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin Heflin          | ShreveNet, Inc.      | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Mac Tech           | 333 Texas St #619    | FAX:318.221.6612
kheflin@shreve.net    | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net

Re: [GENERAL] Large objects

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Kurt Seel wrote:

> I am having trouble with writing to large objects.

>  I am not using lseek, as I have heard it is broken.

It shouldn't be broken. When I implemented them for JDBC, I used lseek to
get the object's size. It's worked fine (and that was just before 6.3 was
released).

> I simply read the whole thing into a buffer, edit it, and (attempt to)
> write it back out.

Should work. I assume (as you say you are not using lseek) that you are
closing the object, then reopening it before writing?

>  I am doing this from TCL.

I don't know how TCL does this, but do you get any error messages?

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk

Re: [GENERAL] Error message

From
James Olin Oden
Date:
> I was working in the psql command line on a particular database, when
> things started to work real slow??
>
> Afterwards, I noticed when ever I tried executing anything on a different
> database, I was receiving the follow error message.. pertaining to the
> original database I had been working on previously:
>
> WARNING: Unable to connect to PostgresSQL server: ERROR cannont write
> block 431 of users [shrevenet_linklist] blind in
> /pathtofilename/file.php3 on line 4
> An error occurred.
>
> the first two links of this error are referencing the origal database I
> had been working in. The last two are in reference to the database I was
> trying to access just now.
>
> Any suggestions to reason for this? And suggestions on how to track down
> such an error? or someway to monitor in real time the POstgres server?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

Have you tried killing the postmaster process and restarting.  It sounds like
something gone south in it or more likely a back end postgress process has
got hung.  Anyway, killing the postmaster process should get rid of child
processes also, and when you restart it everything should be OK with your
database.  This is just a hunch but I think it will fix your immeadiate
problem.

As to why its happening, your going to have get someone much more familiar
with the source than I to answer that.

...james